Subaru WRX Forum banner

high a/f correction and learning at idle

34K views 47 replies 5 participants last post by  wrxdan 
#1 ·
OK, so i have been running an opensource ots map from xpt tuning for the last year or so for vf39, gm bcs, pink injectors, tbe, large tmic, k&n drop in....has been running fine for me as far as i could tell (hadn't done any logging)....I recently decided to go e85 route with an etuner, modified the pink injectors, he sent me a base map for 740cc injectors (he sd he's done modded injectors before and thats the size he used). i am having problems with high a/f correction and a/f learning at idle, not so much normal driving, and looks to be fine at wot. tuner thinks its a vac leak near the manifold somewhere, but i have been unable to find any leaks, i did fix a leak on the bpv, but problem still exhists, not as much, but is still there.......correction is about 15ish and learning is about the same....afr is between 14.5 and 15 at idle. i am not hitting full boost at full throttle......target is 17 i believe

have stock airbox and after maf tube and ebay turbo inlet along with the other mods for the map

heres a log on my way to work today....has some normal driving, idle time, and small wot pulls

anyone have any suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_ms...it?usp=sharing

See less See more
#10 ·
I was thinking the same thing. Only problem is i already paid him and my funds are limited rite now......he hasnt tuned anything, just gave me a map and read loggs.....were still on premium fuel, havent even come close to e85 yet.......now hes tellin me he thinks my maf is going bad? Idk, getting frusterated with the whole thing....seems like he just wants me to replace parts and doesnt wany to tune anything

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
Ron at phatbotti is the bees-knees! I can give you his contact info if you like. I know you already paid but, a good tune and bad tune could be the difference between a blown motor. Reseach their reviews and see what you think. I hooked another guy (daddysfastwrx or daddysfastcar ) up on here and he was very pleased as well.

#23 ·
So the big question is, am i safe to drive it til i find a tuner. Or should i just park it til then?
Running rich can be looked at as a safety measure but at idle 12.5 would be a good number imho. Maps that are built by a tuner for download are just a guesstimation and are never perfect as there are too many variables involved.

Get the car on a dyno ASAP!
Get the car on a dyno ASAP!

One hour of dyno tuning with a tuner that knows his shit will make a world of difference. Also remember that the Boxer engine is no different than any other engine accept for its layout/configuration. :) Oh one last thing "does your current setup exceed the flow capacity of your stock injectors?" I had a T66 turbo on my MR2T and was pushing almost 400RWHP on the stock injectors/ecu.

At my friends shop here in Houston:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPfbtcseRZs

#19 ·
The biggest issue I can see is you don't know for sure what size injectors you have, plus the % in flow rates could be huge and that will cause issues as well. As far as them being stock the dead time should be pretty close to the same as a stock Subaru injector.

#33 ·
I can agree that you know enough about tuning. Just the most supported options for this car is OS (open source) tuning and AP (Cobb AccessPort) tuning. Piggyback EMS and something more along the lines of a MoTeC are not really necessary for most people. If you're going balls to the wall all out and want more options then feel free. But, those options don't have a lot of support outside of its own niche community.

#30 ·
Im with kirt on this. A dyno tune or even a road tune in person will always be better when done by a good tuner but, to some like myself and the op this just is not a option. A etune done by a good reputable tuner can be just as good or even better than some mediocre or better tuners. Especially if you have a really good one in your corner. I wouldn't recommend Ron if i didn't think he was the best in the business at what he does. I would put my tune up against any other (safety and reliability wise). Sure you can probably squeeze better numbers out of a dyno tune if it is a option. As far as accessports go they are a great tuning tool capable of multiple custom maps and personal tuning with their software if your comfortable with doing your own tuning. Opensource is good as well and much cheaper but lacks some pretty nice features that the ap has. On the other end of the spectrum if you don't do your research you can get into real trouble with a etune from someone who dosent know what they are doing. My first tune was from another well known company. It had lots of knock in it and they only did one revision after i complained to them enough. Needless to say i dropped them and did not use their map. No matter what kind of tune a person gets it all boils down to how good and knowledgable the tuner is.

#34 ·
my mods:
vf39 turbo
gm ebcs
up pipe
full 3 inch catless tbe
ebay silicone turbo inlet(stock one ripped)
stock airbox with k&n drop in
(wanted to be tuned with my short ram, but running the stock box currently)
sti pink injectors (now modded)

#32 ·
You have 2 options here. 1)disconnect the waste gate vacuum line and run waste gate pressure only, 2) pull the injectors and put in ones that are tested to be with in 1% +/- flow rate of each other. what's causing your issue is the difference in flow rates. example; one side of the motor has injectors that are 820cc the other side has 2 that are 750cc...one side is dumping more fuel thus the ECU which thinks you have 750cc thinks your car is running rich and trying to adjust....

#35 ·
before the injectors were modded i had been running xpt tuning ots map for these mods.....

when i first started with this tuner he told me my front o2 sensor was out, wasnt getting a reading from it (wich it was out), replaced that and the car ran much better after.....then sd that i was still lean at idle and thought i may have a vac leak...searched around and found a few leaks that i fixed, but couldnt find anymore........now he's thinking my maf sensor is going bad, he says the voltage is slowly dropping. he sd that he can tune it like this, but in a few months it would probably just lean out again due to the maf sensor getting week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.