Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help! Tactrix cable + TP Tune

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeyPSF 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've had my baby (2014 wrx hatch) for 9 months now and I've been wanting to get a Torqued Performance Stage 1 on it for quite sometime...

I've went on google and read up on almost every posts/forum regarding how to use the tactrix cable + EcuFlash & Romraider... But I'm still clueless on how everything works...

I understand the fact that I have to plug in the tactrix cable into my computer... reflash my car... do some data logging... send the log back and forth to the Tuner (Eric I believe his name is)... and keep on reflashing my car until the Tuner finally finds the most optimal tune...

I haven't gotten the tactrix cable yet (I'm planning to soon) but I have downloaded/looked over Romraider and EcuFlash on my laptop... and my Potato mind was just overwhelmed with all these technical jargons and whatnot... I would appreciate it if anyone could guide me through this...

Several questions I have:
Can I save/export the oem/factory tune on my computer?

Is it safe for me to switch back and forth from the e-tune to oem tune often? (For when I drop my car at the subaru service-center)

Anyone have problems with Torqued Performance tuning? I've only read positive reviews about it so I'm pretty confident that this is the way to go... but I also have heard that stage 1 is pushing 18lbs of boost... Is that Safe?

Is there anyone around Southern California who would be willing to help me with this?

I know this is supposed to be simple... and it probably is for many of you... but this Potato can't seem to figure it out!

See less See more
#4 ·
I've went on google and read up on almost every posts/forum regarding how to use the tactrix cable + EcuFlash & Romraider... But I'm still clueless on how everything works...

I haven't gotten the tactrix cable yet (I'm planning to soon) but I have downloaded/looked over Romraider and EcuFlash on my laptop... and my Potato mind was just overwhelmed with all these technical jargons and whatnot... I would appreciate it if anyone could guide me through this...

Several questions I have:
Can I save/export the oem/factory tune on my computer?

Is it safe for me to switch back and forth from the e-tune to oem tune often? (For when I drop my car at the subaru service-center)
You absolutely can (and should!) save your factory OEM tune so that you can go back to stock as needed, or if you decide to switch to a different tuner, though we've heard lots of good feedback on TP so I don't think you'll need to. You can switch back and forth between tunes as needed, no problem.

For a better understanding of how our software works, I highly recommend checking out this video series put together by one of our customers. It's focused on tuning an Evo X, but in general the concepts apply equally well to any Mitsubishi or Subaru our software supports, with the one exception being the Mut table explanation which is Mitsubishi specific. The version of our software shown in the series is a slightly older version but in general the concepts are still the same. The one notable difference in the interface is that you must now choose your vehicle type before you get started.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL13C9F1BF5C03E946

I don't believe they have the definitions out for the 2014 models.
We have 2014 definitions for many Subarus. If you get an 'unknown ROM image' message when you do a read, send us a message by contacting us through the most appropriate email address for your need on our contact page:

Contact Us

-Mike
(Tactrix)

#7 ·
Sorry wrxblu12, I missed your question until I saw Craig's reply. EcuFlash has definitions built in for every year/market from 2002 WRX (2001 in some markets) through 2014 WRX. The current release has definitions for over 700 vehicles in total between Subaru and Mitsubishi. If you want to browse the definitions included, you can use Windows file explorer to look in here on your laptop:

C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenECU\EcuFlash\rommetadata\subaru\Impreza WRX

Most of the newer definitions will have the year in the file name but if you navigate the folder contents with the file explorer preview pane open, you'll see the following information at the top of each file which gives you a bunch of data about the definition including model/year/market. When you view the file contents it will have XML tags around the data which isn't showing up here in the forum post (though I do have the code tag wrapping the XML), but this will give you an idea of the details shown so you can know if there are definitions for your year/model/market. It's possible that we might not have a definition for your exact ROM revision, but as long as we have one for the same year/model/market, it's usually pretty easy to extend that support to a different ROM revision.

Code:
<rom>
	<romid>
		<xmlid>AE5K611L</xmlid>
		<internalidaddress>2004</internalidaddress>
		<internalidstring>AE5K611L</internalidstring>
		<ecuid>8112587007</ecuid>
		<make>Subaru</make>
		<market>USDM</market>
		<model>Impreza</model>
		<submodel>WRX</submodel>
		<transmission>MT</transmission>
		<year>2012</year>
		<flashmethod>subarucan</flashmethod>
		<memmodel>SH7058</memmodel>
		<checksummodule>subarudbw</checksummodule>
	</romid>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.