Help with EM after Stage 1 Mods - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
Help with EM after Stage 1 Mods

Ok, I am new to this but have been doing lots of research and here are the modifications I have decided that I want to do on my stock 2.0L 02 WRX:

- Uppipe (catless)
- Short Ram Intake
- Lightened Crank Pulley
- 4" Downpipe (catless)

I know I have to do Engine Management on my car to accomodate these mods but I have no idea how to go about doing this.

I don't want to spend the money on a Cobb or any other handheld tool of which I have no idea how to use. I do have EcuFlash but I don't think I am knowledgeable enough to work with that as of yet unless any of you have a simple explanation for me.

Any help on the EM or other suggestions and comments about these modifications would be greatly appreciated as I am really excited to start working on this!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The Cobb AP is actually very user friendly. Like you mentioned, the hardest part is paying several hundred bucks for it, but you'd spend almost that much for a really good professional tune. Arguably, the cheapest form of engine management requires a Tactrix cable and a laptop and whatever map you trust enough to purchase and install on your car.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 05-07-2010, 08:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wyoming MI, my wife went to GVSU so I spent a lot of time there.

Anyway, as long as you're not a complete idiot and have a laptop you can work ECUFlash and use a tactrix cable... It's basically the same thing as an accessport, just with a laptop. Plus, from what I've seen, the car reacts a lot better on the first startup than with the AP, aka it starts right up.

-Chris
#4 Old 05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
I think I will go with the EcuFlash and the tactrix cable, but I still don't understand what kind of maps I would need to download or where to get them or which maps would give me the correct ECU changes for the exact mods I will be putting on my car.

I feel like not just any pre-existing map would be the perfect one for my car. I am just really worried about doing any damage to it by putting on the wrong map.
#5 Old 05-08-2010, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The Cobb AP maps are universal, so they're made to work with every car and they're pretty conservative. I'd be more worried about getting another map off the internet when you don't know who made or tweaked it and there's no guarantee that it won't do any damage. I'm sure most of the maps are fine, but there's always a chance that somebody out there sabotaged one and they're spreading them around for fun.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#6 Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
Man show, thanks for the tip. Yea I think I will now put my trust in a Cobb map rather than some free one. A free one probably wouldn't be too smart lol.

But there is still something I'm not understanding. Even if the Cobb AP maps are universal, don't I need a custom map that has the exact parameters that my car requires to properly work with the mods I put on?
#7 Old 05-08-2010, 12:07 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The best thing to do when modding a car is to get a "custom" tune when you have reached certain points in your modding process. With an OTS (off the shelf) map there is still room for improvement. Even a factory carcan benefit from some tuning.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
Ok, thanks a lot guys. Yea I've decided I'm going to put my mods on and then work with a professional tuner to get everything into place and working efficiently.
#9 Old 05-09-2010, 06:54 AM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambow88 View Post
Man show, thanks for the tip. Yea I think I will now put my trust in a Cobb map rather than some free one. A free one probably wouldn't be too smart lol.

But there is still something I'm not understanding. Even if the Cobb AP maps are universal, don't I need a custom map that has the exact parameters that my car requires to properly work with the mods I put on?
The COBB (Off the shelf) maps are Universal as they have plenty of fuell in them so that you will not run lean and heat things up.. The have maps for generic setups.. I.E. catted or catless DP and exhaust, clear up to some turbo swaps and injector sizes.. Find one that matches your setup.. HOWEVER this means (2) things.. First it's going to get lower, not horrible, but lower MPG.. Second, your not going to be as strong as it can be... The BEST, and I mean VERY BEST is a Professional tune with what ever EM that you are running be it Cobb or Open S. or even the Ecutek.. A Pro Tune will dial things in perfectly to your exact setup. Just keep in mind its going to be between 400 to 700 bucks so do it once and do it right.. If you plan to change things soon do an OTS map for now to get you through.. If your happy for a bit do a Pro Tune. Best bang for the buck....

EDIT. NEVER and I mean NEVER use a map that another owner uses on his car as a full time map even if he has the SAME exact setup.. Even the factory maps are fattened up due to the fact that every car runs differently. Even (20 cars off the assembly line one after the other will run differently. It's ok to use them as a ""Im close just need dialed in Map"but that's it... If your gong to use someone elses map grab a COBB off the shelf other wise find a tuner like Get a Dom Tune or a shop like Cobb or Altered Gas so something.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#10 Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
Thanks Lil Shoaf,

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking. I kept hearing people telling me to just get a universal map but that just didn't seem right to me.

Ok one more question,
My car has 120,000 miles on it, is it worth putting these mods on a car with so many miles? Or is my car just going to go to shit pretty soon? I have been driving it pretty mildly for the last few years, but the first six months I drove it pretty hard, but during that time I only drove it about 500 miles. (I bought it used 3 and 1/2 years ago and have no idea how it was driven for the first 80,000 miles)

Thanks
#11 Old 05-10-2010, 05:06 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
it's hard to say.. Your 120000k motor might hold up longer then my 40000 one did.. It's a blind luck thing. Your going to shorten the life of the motor with any modifications but by how much is really unknown.. It could still last you for years or it could crap out tom before you touch it.. Broken parts are the best exuse to upgrade... LOL.. A hybrid can be done for a couple gs...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#12 Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cambow88 is an unknown
haha, yea I keep seein all kinds of people talkin about modding their 6,7,8 year old wrx's and none of them seem to be concerned with the age of their motors so idk...
#13 Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
Take good care of your motor and don't do things half assed and you will be fine.... Cobb is a good way to start simple and fairly safe.... eventually when you get to the higher levels of modding and need a pro tune which ever way you go , you can always sell your AP....

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye