Gymkhana vs Cobb Stage 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tweak_23 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Tweak_23
Gymkhana vs Cobb Stage 2

I currently have a stock 06 Sti and was wondering what the pros and cons of putting the Gymkhana kit from Crawford Performance vs the Cobb Stage 2 kit P/N 612X42. Other than the cost, like would my stock engine be able to handle one over the other, the transmission, and anything else that you can think of. I am the 2nd owner so there is no warrenty on the car. I also dont really plan on racing the dog crap out of it i just want it to be quick and every once and a while when some punk pulls up in an Evo or something i can smile and shatter his or her dreams. Any info on yeh or neh will help, and please be blunt you wont hurt my feelings.

Crawford Complete CP35R Turbo Kit - 04-07 STI

Crawford Performance

Crawford Complete CP30R Turbo Kit - 04-07 STI

Crawford Performance

Cobb Staged Power Packages

CobbTuning.com - Staged Power Packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Well what is your budget for this car? how much power are you wanting to make out of this car as well? Your tranny will hold a good amount of power. Those Crawford packages are pretty high in price. Also what do you have done to that car as of now?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tweak_23 is an unknown
Currently all that i have done to this car is tint windows and bought new tires. Everything else is stock. My budget for this car as in tuning it will be whatever mod of the 2 i buy and that is all, i dont want to drop money in it all the time fixing it. If i did go with the Gymkhana i was wondering what other mods i would have to run to get the car in sync as far as if the engine will hold do i need a bigger fuel rail, injectors, fuel pump ect. I know the crawford packages are pricey but if i buy it and im done forever putting mods on it i think it is well worth the price. I rode in an 04 Sti with the kit and it was way fast, plus that is all that he has done to the car and hasnt had to do anything since, which is what im going for. I really just want to buy one thing and be done with it, im over the whole fast and furious thing i did that when i was 17. As far as install i dont have an issue Crawford is 30 mins North from where i live now in San Diego and Cobb is 30 mins South from my parents house in Ogden. I talked to both companies and they would be installing the parts and tuning it for me.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 02:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Injectors and fuel pump you will have to do, fuel rails are good and you can keep those stock ones on there, other than that i would put full TBE on it of course then go with that CP35r kit and call it good. now since you have the STI with the 6speed you can go ahead and think about getting a little bit better of a clutch for some more grab. My last build i did with the EJ25 shortblock i was putting 400whp with my 03 wrx, i kept with the stock Exedy clutch cause its cheaper than replacing gears.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Tweak_23 is an unknown
any suggestions on what fuel pump and injectors i should get?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well the Walbro is a really great pump a lot of people run that and have no issues with them, injector wise there is a lot out there for options i had RC and they are really great another brand to look into would be DeatschWerks i wouldn't go anything less than 750cc with your setup or else you would be just working them to hard. You can take a look at them at this website, http://www.jscspeed.com/wrx/turbo/deatschwerks.htm
post #7 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 04:27 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I would look into maybe beefing up the internals of the engine also. For safety reasons, make it last a little longer. And I would run the DW 850cc injectors. I run them on my 20G and have no issues at all with them.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #8 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yea if you can afford it i would really put some nice pistons in that engine I went with CP forged pistons and nice head studs and cometic MLS head gaskets. If you at least got new pistons that would help alot with strength and help handle that added power, those stock EJ25 pistons are weak IMO
post #9 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Something else that would/should be highly recommended is a 3-port BCS for when the tune is done. It will help hold and control boost so much better than the stock unit will, especially with that type of setup. And then of course some handling components to round out the car better.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It doesn't look like any of the crawford packages include: TBE, injectors, a fuel pump, and a tune with that rotated set-up. So, you'd need more than just that rotated set-up. So, I'd have to agree with what has been said so far. The pistons at the very least should be beefed up.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae