Greddy eman vs. UTEC vs. COBB - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 11-06-2006, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

JOHNYCAMP is an unknown
i have a cobb ap for the 05 sti , it has already been reflashed and is ready to go in , pm me if you are interested. it was on my car for 450 miles before i upgraded to stand alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
Ok, I just called Scoobytuners, I talked to Chris, the gentleman listed above, he was a great help, he answered any and all questions that I have, so basically, If I do not get one for Christmas from my girlfriend, I will be springing for THE accessport v2 in January for sure.....

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
#18 Old 11-07-2006, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

csped1108 is an unknown
If im only lookin to do a few mods such as: k&n drop in, exhaust, coilovers, possibly BOV

Maybe track it a few times here and there in the spring/summer, mostly for shows

Would I need any sort of EM?

'06 WRX---Black Pearl
#19 Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

OFFdutyHERO is an unknown
After a ton of reading feedback and talking to a few ppl, it sounds like the accessport V2 with the software is the way to go. Its got all you could need to tune yourself.

Can you tune out the super rich tendancy when venting a bov?? I dunno if possible, because you are talking more about what the MAS is seeing instead of fuel just being removed...i dunno...i guess thats why im asking...

Edit: just curious what kind of maps are you provided with the accessport and software, or is it tune from the settings the factory has...

Last edited by OFFdutyHERO; 11-07-2006 at 05:48 PM.
#20 Old 11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

nicmowrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to nicmowrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by csped1108
If im only lookin to do a few mods such as: k&n drop in, exhaust, coilovers, possibly BOV

Maybe track it a few times here and there in the spring/summer, mostly for shows

Would I need any sort of EM?
to get the most out of a tbe and k&n you should get an AP and a protune.

stay tuned for hks turbo upgrade-nic
#21 Old 11-08-2006, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

csped1108 is an unknown
same for cat-back i assume? basically its necessary for an AP, i wasn't sure and didn't wanna spend that much $$ if I didn't need it

'06 WRX---Black Pearl
#22 Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

the good news is once you do get it, you can simply tune for any mod you then put on, no matter big or small....well that is if you get the software...but anyway peace of mind then.
#23 Old 11-08-2006, 02:23 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFdutyHERO

Can you tune out the super rich tendancy when venting a bov??
No because you have no way of metering how much air has left the system.You can switch to speed density or do a blow threw MAF set up which puts the BOV before the sensor but to go through all that just to have a neat kazoo is not worth it in my opinion . Something about atmospheric BOV's http://www.spdusa.com/blow-off_valves.htm

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#24 Old 11-08-2006, 03:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

yea i deff. am an advocate of recirc. if it is going to cause a problem in performance...same on dsm's been there done that.... But putting a blowthru on a dsm is relatively simple...BUT two main differences when talkin about a subie;
A. prettymuch no piping to work with on the TMIC, solved by FMIC but then your talkin even more $
B. There is a MAF translator meant for DSM's

if I put a front mount on wrx, I will look into a blowthru at that point in time.....hmm i wonder if you could relocate the factory mas....im sure that question has been asked before, time for some searching.
#25 Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Either the Cobb AP or Utec.I personally like the AP,but don't recommend the E-manage.Stick with application specific stuff.The E-manage is not plug and play and is meant more for NA turbo kits.
why stay away from e-manage if you have a shop in the area that can tune with them?
its no different than any other em beside the fact that its not plug and play. beside i think the best thing for your car regardless of whether or not you have a piggy back unit or just a flash like the cobb is a custom map because no two cars are the same
#26 Old 01-28-2008, 07:25 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
why stay away from e-manage if you have a shop in the area that can tune with them?
its no different than any other em beside the fact that its not plug and play. beside i think the best thing for your car regardless of whether or not you have a piggy back unit or just a flash like the cobb is a custom map because no two cars are the same
How about the fact that you can't over ride DTC/CEL's,change boost/fuel cut levels,speed limiter.You can get an email Protune for around $150.I have used the Emanage before and it takes time to set it up and install it.Your paying for that along with the tuning of it.I don't think your seeing the big picture.Plus lets say the one shop that does tune/installs the Emanage in your area goes out of business.The Cobb AP can be remotely tuned if you have the ability to datalog.It is alot different than Subaru based EM because you have to start from scratch instead of a base map.

#27 Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
ok ok you win lol
but damn now i have to get the accsess port and drive an hour a way to get a protune for stage 2. and then pray i dont get boost issues so i dont have to drive all the way back
what about open sorce my local tuner also does that... so basically my options are unichip, e-manage(nope!), or opensource.
#28 Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM
WRXpert

You can get boost issues with any EM that is tuned on an indoor dyno.Hell if you get a Protune in the summer with your new turbo upgrade how do you expect them to be able to set your IAT compensations for wintertime?Just the way it goes.At least with Opensource or Cobb (email map/Protune) the tuner can just retune tune the map remotely. You don't have to have a Protune.You don't seem to be grasping that.If you just want one,that's a different story.You can get PDX to do an email map.

#29 Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
No because you have no way of metering how much air has left the system.You can switch to speed density or do a blow threw MAF set up which puts the BOV before the sensor but to go through all that just to have a neat kazoo is not worth it in my opinion . Something about atmospheric BOV's Blow-off Valves
I was reading the other day (can't remember where. I know you're going to ask, sorry) that blow through MAFs are not that great because the air flow is too turbulent to be measured as clearly.

Just saying, even if you do go with that setup, you might still have issues. The easiest path is to just not vent to atmosphere in the first place.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#30 Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
so with open source tuning which my local tuner does, they will create a custom map for MY car and then flash it to my stock ecu correct? and they can change everything like boost, timing, fuel etc? also say worst comes to worst and my stock map is gone like the computer crashed or something, how would i get something like that back? can the dealer re-flash it?
after reading through a lot of stuff i think open source is what i should go with, although i would like to have something more than just a "flash" idk it just doesn't seem solid to me, like something is missing. not to mention i cant just unplug the unit and be back stock like i could with a piggy back unit