Get an up pipe? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
Get an up pipe?

Ok so I'm saving up to get a stage 2 tune and I'm getting a down pipe and boost controller. I have been reading around that my year,an 03 has problems where stuff gets into the turbo without An up pipe. Is this true and is a decent up pipe generally expensive? I figured the labor would cost less considering they will be putting on the dp anyway. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
02-05 WRX's have a Catalytic convertors in the uppipe that have been known to break apart and damage the turbo fins. Aftermarket Uppipes mostly run around 140-200 for a well known brand.
If you pick up a new one make sure to buy new gaskets for uppipe and for the header if you go the route of removing the header to remove the uppipe then pick up new gaskets for that also.
Check on Youtube for install videos if your thinking of doing it yourself.

Ive been looking into removing my uppipe also,was thinking bout the Invidea UP.

Hope this helps ya out man.
Good luck.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#3 Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Im not sure how handy you are with working on cars but you could probably do your DP yourself rather than pay someone to do it.
The hardest part is getting the godforsaken heat-shield's off to get to the bolts.
Once you get your OEM DP off its a cakewalk getting the new one on.

PB blaster will be your best friend.

Why the BC?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#4 Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not really that mechanically inclined, I don't have the stock cat back on so I'd need at least some modification. As for the bc the garage I talked to said they always install one with stage 2 tunes, said it holds boost way better than stock. Also heard that the turbo spools faster and it's fairly inexpensive.
#5 Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If I can remember correctly, my up took me the better part of one and a half hours, mostly due to the stupid heat shields having rusted out bolts.
I do not recommend this for a beginner.
But I do highly suggest replacing it.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#6 Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
Not really that mechanically inclined, I don't have the stock cat back on so I'd need at least some modification. As for the bc the garage I talked to said they always install one with stage 2 tunes, said it holds boost way better than stock. Also heard that the turbo spools faster and it's fairly inexpensive.
I think they meant to say a BCS.... 3 port to be exact. You don't want a MBC (manual boost controller) Those days are long gone with all the DSM's.

As for the UP... .Look for a 06-07 WRX or 04-07 STi up pipe.... no cats and no fitment issues.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

yah thats what i mean, they said it wasnt necessary but recommended it for the tune, they recommended a grimmspeed 3 port bcs. I figured why not. does the up pipe break up specifically when the down pipe is installed, or does it just end up happening with those model years?
#8 Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
yah thats what i mean, they said it wasnt necessary but recommended it for the tune, they recommended a grimmspeed 3 port bcs. I figured why not. does the up pipe break up specifically when the down pipe is installed, or does it just end up happening with those model years?
Cats fail with use, but you run higher EGTs when running stage 2.