Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Get an up pipe? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/get-up-pipe-33650/)

thekamikaze kid 02-27-2013 06:48 PM

Get an up pipe?

Ok so I'm saving up to get a stage 2 tune and I'm getting a down pipe and boost controller. I have been reading around that my year,an 03 has problems where stuff gets into the turbo without An up pipe. Is this true and is a decent up pipe generally expensive? I figured the labor would cost less considering they will be putting on the dp anyway. Thanks.

AllExtinct 02-27-2013 07:57 PM

02-05 WRX's have a Catalytic convertors in the uppipe that have been known to break apart and damage the turbo fins. Aftermarket Uppipes mostly run around 140-200 for a well known brand.
If you pick up a new one make sure to buy new gaskets for uppipe and for the header if you go the route of removing the header to remove the uppipe then pick up new gaskets for that also.
Check on Youtube for install videos if your thinking of doing it yourself.

Ive been looking into removing my uppipe also,was thinking bout the Invidea UP.

Hope this helps ya out man.
Good luck.

AllExtinct 02-27-2013 08:15 PM

Im not sure how handy you are with working on cars but you could probably do your DP yourself rather than pay someone to do it.
The hardest part is getting the godforsaken heat-shield's off to get to the bolts.
Once you get your OEM DP off its a cakewalk getting the new one on.

PB blaster will be your best friend.

Why the BC?

thekamikaze kid 02-27-2013 08:32 PM

Not really that mechanically inclined, I don't have the stock cat back on so I'd need at least some modification. As for the bc the garage I talked to said they always install one with stage 2 tunes, said it holds boost way better than stock. Also heard that the turbo spools faster and it's fairly inexpensive.

BLAZE2099 02-27-2013 08:54 PM

If I can remember correctly, my up took me the better part of one and a half hours, mostly due to the stupid heat shields having rusted out bolts.
I do not recommend this for a beginner.
But I do highly suggest replacing it.

pzr2874 02-28-2013 05:37 AM

[quote=thekamikaze kid;291167]Not really that mechanically inclined, I don't have the stock cat back on so I'd need at least some modification. As for the bc the garage I talked to said they always install one with stage 2 tunes, said it holds boost way better than stock. Also heard that the turbo spools faster and it's fairly inexpensive.[/quote]

I think they meant to say a BCS.... 3 port to be exact. You don't want a MBC (manual boost controller) Those days are long gone with all the DSM's.

As for the UP... .Look for a 06-07 WRX or 04-07 STi up pipe.... no cats and no fitment issues.

thekamikaze kid 02-28-2013 01:18 PM

yah thats what i mean, they said it wasnt necessary but recommended it for the tune, they recommended a grimmspeed 3 port bcs. I figured why not. does the up pipe break up specifically when the down pipe is installed, or does it just end up happening with those model years?

brfatal 02-28-2013 01:24 PM

[quote=thekamikaze kid;291204]yah thats what i mean, they said it wasnt necessary but recommended it for the tune, they recommended a grimmspeed 3 port bcs. I figured why not. does the up pipe break up specifically when the down pipe is installed, or does it just end up happening with those model years?[/quote]

Cats fail with use, but you run higher EGTs when running stage 2.