Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Gauges (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/gauges-42074/)

Nathan21 12-04-2013 03:23 PM

Gauges

Well, since I am about to that point to where what ever extra I want to do I will need to get a pro tune, I think it would be a smart step for me to get some gages.
What 3 gages should I get first?
Also why those?
I understand I can read most of this on my AP but shops around here require you to have gages to do so.

LW_Black4 12-04-2013 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done similar research and got a variety of opinions on it. [B]I like the centre dash cluster with boost, oil pressure and oil temperature.[/B]

I'm going with these 3 to monitor operating vitals at the track when I push the Rex hard, but boost gauge has good curb appeal and is good for diagnostics.

BTW, I haven't bought them yet.

Haw1es 12-04-2013 03:51 PM

I feel like I see this question a lot, myself asking it included. May be a good idea for the smart guys on here to write up a sticky if there isn't one? Just explaining why different gauges are important/what they really tell you, for example you A/F gauge tells you if the car is too rich/lean.
Just a thought

boo-key bear 12-04-2013 04:04 PM

I strongly recommend a a/f ratio gauge for tuning purposes.

Nathan21 12-04-2013 04:38 PM

Actually I highly agree with Shane on this!!!
Should really make a good sticky for this!
And I was going to go with the A pillar set up

Haw1es 12-04-2013 04:43 PM

I'm with you on the A-piller setup, but the pods I want are in the 135 range. They are made to OEM color and texture specs.
[url]Www.jcs-pods.com[/url]

brfatal 12-04-2013 05:07 PM

[quote=LW_Black4;408194]
BTW, I haven't bought them yet.[/quote]

Don't. Prosport gauges are long known for being inaccurate (making them pointless since the readings won't mean much) and prone to failing.

Boost
Oil Temp or Pressure (probably pressure for a lightly modded car)
Wideband AFR (will help tuners) or EGT

Nathan21 12-04-2013 05:29 PM

[quote=Haw1es;408258]I'm with you on the A-piller setup, but the pods I want are in the 135 range. They are made to OEM color and texture specs.
[url=http://Www.jcs-pods.com]JCSPODS.com - Custom A-Pillar Gauge Pods And Cubby Pods For Subaru's, Mitsubishi's, Hyundai's, And Saturns That Maintain A Factory Look.[/url][/quote]

These are actually the people I will be going threw to get mine made as well haha

BLAZE2099 12-04-2013 06:47 PM

Gauges.
Man, you're killing us with your spelling.

Haha
I'll buy you a fourth grade spelling book, if you'd like;)

arewmors 12-04-2013 08:31 PM

Here's a thought, you get the a-pillar pod. Okay neato. You put three gauges in it. Then God forbid you get in an accident and the a-pillar air bag goes off, where are those gauges gonna go, your head? Also the air bag might no be able to function as it should. This is obviously on the newer models like yours Nathan. Just an FYI. IMHO I wouldn't get that. I like the smy but that only holds two gauges, I currently have one and love it. My second option would be the pod that goes where the clock is.

thekamikaze kid 12-04-2013 09:07 PM

[quote=BLAZE2099;408378]Gauges.
Man, you're killing us with your spelling.

Haha
I'll buy you a fourth grade spelling book, if you'd like;)[/quote]

sheesh!WTF

isn't there spell check built into this? the red line underneath the word indicates a misspelled word. if you right click it you get a list of suggested spelling.

Nathan21 12-04-2013 10:48 PM

Wow guys really ripping into me today huh?!
Yeah grammar has never been my strong point!
But if you ask me why I couldn't spell right, my answer will always be " because race car is importanter" and the a-pillar will be the way I will be going, looks more clean to me, regardless of what might happen, I had the center pod holders and feel like the pods that go infront of your cluster will mess with my view

arewmors 12-05-2013 04:58 AM

[quote=thekamikaze kid;408553]sheesh!WTF

isn't there spell check built into this? the red line underneath the word indicates a misspelled word. if you right click it you get a list of suggested spelling.[/quote]

Yes only if you're on the computer though. If you're on the app it is all up to you.

Nathan21 12-10-2013 12:02 PM

Ok guys, so I haven't seen much activity on here.
So what would be some main gauges I would need for a protune? or are they not needed?

Vew 12-10-2013 01:49 PM

Thread title spelling fixed

I would get boost. I also have EGT which has been helpful, but I'd ask the tuning shop you're going to. A wideband o2 is crucial (most expensive too). However, I know many tuners use an external setup they move from car to car.