Subaru WRX Forum banner

Gas consumption

6K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Jackstand Johnny 
#1 · (Edited)
So I've been wondering if my cars gas consumption is normal or if it's a bad tune or something else. Its an 02 wrx with EL headers, full tbe, catless up&down pipes, intake, sti pink injectors, fmic. Running a modified version of testes1010 stage 2 on 91Oct. I go through a little over a half tank in 3 days just driving back and forth to work and home about 10 miles a few times a day.

#4 ·
Yeah with tunes the EJ2XX can put down anywhere between 10-12 ( on E85 ) and 26-28 on conservative fuel saver 91ron tunes.

I have a 17 mile commute in bumper to bumper and I usually put down about 15mpg in traffic, When the road is open I can get up near 24-25. Im running a Torqued Performance stage 2 tune and my average mpg is 19.8

hope that helps

#5 ·
ive put my foot down on some back roads. a good 9-10KM sprints at WOT most of the run, and have seen my gauge go down almost 1/8th of a tank lol.

EJ's CHUG gas when not driven like a granny.

Reactions: jpsubie4
#7 ·
nah man probably pretty normal, especially with mods... definitely reset your trip a or b next time you fill up, see how many miles you get out of it and report back... but from the sounds of things, youre fuel rate sounds normal

#8 ·
See when I run a full tank of gas an do the math on mileage I am around 23 mpg for a normal week and that's short trip with many spirited bursts. When I do long trips it is around 28-29mpg depending

#9 ·
I got almost 340 miles to a tank with mixed city/highway driving with my stroker motor and the break-in tune, of course staying out of boost almost always. Tomei UEL headers, catless up-pipe/dp, catted (visually?) mid, Greddy EVO2. I also have a 4k RPM limit with this tune, governed with my foot.

#13 ·
At 20 mpg, I spend $3,900 a year driving 30,000 km on premium fuel.

My gf with her better mileage car spends $3,119 driving the same distance on the same fuel.

I'd never give up my WRX though, as fast is better than cheap. :)

#14 ·
i think the best i got was a little over 400km for a tank. being auto though, i use a bit less gas as i cant rev my engine as much.

maybe from a technical standpoint auto uses more. but from practical application, the auto's arent revving their engine wasting gas to match gears or start from 1st...etc

i used more gas in my 4cyl elantra 5speed than i do in my auto wrx.

#15 ·
My 2002 WRX was getting about 22 MPG when stock and now that I flashed to a stage 2 Im only getting 18 MPG. I thought the accessport was supposed to increase fuel economy but I guess I thought wrong. I rarely get on the throttle either. I actually baby my car more now that Im constantly afraid Im going to break something since I cant afford to fix it lol. I think Im also running much richer now and it seems to idle and run a bit rough again so Im probably going to get rid of these platinum plugs and put iridiums back in. I guess I need to replace them anyways. Theyve been in there waaay too long. Something like a while WHOPPING 2,000 miles...I put them in after running my iridium plugs for a staggering 3,000 miles. Lazy me, I know. I should be replacing my spark plugs every 45 minutes or so apparently.

#16 · (Edited)
cobb off the shelf maps are notoriously rich to keep your car safe from detonation. they have an economy map but it has to be flashed and boost and rpm are limited. their performance maps are not "economy" at all.

#17 ·
Not sure where your going with your plugs, If they are gapped correctly and firing correctly the material shouldn't kill your idle. Some materials hold up better over time but 2,000 miles isnt enough time to make a difference unles you got some bargain basement plugs.

Also who did your stage 2 tune? Its not uncommon to lose a few MPG when upgrading for more power ( power comes form fuel ) but most stage 2 tunes really dont run super rich down at the bottom. Its possible that your tip-in might be a bit overly rich but most good tuners can tune that right out. As an example I dropped about 1.5MPG during spirited driving and gained about 2.5 on highway drives with my Stage 2 from Eric at torqued.

#18 ·
what im amazed by these cars is the differece in highway mpg. i just did 460km on a about 3/4 of a tank almost 95% straight driving. ave rpm ~3500(4eat).

but then theres times ive driven an entire tank with a heavy foot and and *maybe got 300km lol.

i really wish i was keeping better track on the trip. i would have really liked to have known exact numbers. next long road trip im taking detailed measurements.

#19 ·
At first I was running NGK Iridium's but I had some problems with misfires just after flashing to stage 2. It ended up being a huge coincidence when I found one the coils had backed out. Well afterwards it started to buck and shutter under load so I thought it could have been spark plug blowout from too big a gap or they were fouled from running with one cylinder getting no spark. So I replaced them with NGK platinums because I didn't have the money to buy Iridium's again. I have these gapped to .030" but I had to gap them a bit myself because they weren't all gapped the same and a couple were as much as .038.

I'm not sure what you mean about not having them in my car for enough time to notice a difference, because I calculate my fuel economy every time I fill up. It's gone from 20.xx to 19.xx to 18.xx to most recently 17.8x miles per gallon.

My Iridium plugs don't look too bad after inspecting them yesterday. Just a thin light grey coating and the gap is set to .029". Should I reinstall these iridium plugs? When increasing boost and power in general, is it better to widen the gap or close it from the middle of the tolerance spectrum? I'm sorry for my ignorance here but this is my first turbo vehicle. Anyways sorry for thread jacking. I'll stop derailing this thread. Thanks everyone for your input and patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.