To Flash or To Wait - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By the RIOT act

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

FexM3 is an unknown
To Flash or To Wait

So I just got 04 WRX, and while the guy I bought it from told me it was stock, it is definitely not. The first thing I did was get a boost gauge and it peaked at almost 16 psi. Its running a catless through the exhaust and the up pipe, and I know you can get boost creep with the extra flow, but it seems a bit much. So if it was tuned, I dont know who did it, cause the owner is telling me nothing. So my idea was to get the AP, and download stage 2. I have an STI up pipe, TBE with HKS DP(I know its sucks but that will be gone soon), stock intake, and stock everything else(from what I can see).

My dilemma is to wait to get the mods I want (injectors, fuel pump, new TMIC, simple things ) and get a Protune?? Or get the AP to be safe and reflash, and mod what I can when I can. The only thing stopping me from getting all my mods and a protune is $$$$. Im not made of cash. I really just want a little more power without dropping serious cash.

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
I'd def get the AP right away man! Who knows what (if any) tune is on it know what I mean. Stage 3 mods/Protune can always come later. Getting a reliable tune on there should be first IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
FexM3 likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#3 Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

FexM3 is an unknown
Ya that what im thinking, I can do the AP, but I keep hearing the OTS maps arent realiable. But im not pushing more than stock, so hopefully ill be ok. If not, ill send it Cobb to tweak it.
#4 Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
If u r not sure what u have now u should check this out to make sure u know what stage u r at now https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_02-05.pdf.
This May or may not help u, I know tho I am stage 1 and and am almost pushing 16psi,s. The notes might help u out, just thought did give u a shot in the dark, lol
#5 Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

FexM3 is an unknown
Thanks man I was looking for notes like that early. If I knew for a fact what the tune is I would leave it alone, but its the unknown part that I dont like. Car runs fine, I just would rather know whats been done to it.
#6 Old 10-11-2013, 12:27 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Your current mods are not compatible with a Cobb ots stage 2 tune. Map notes require a catted dp. It would also be good to know if your hks dp is the bellmouth or the one where the wastegate is blocked (similar to stock design). They make 2 versions. Also, if your car has a tune on it now the ap will save that tune as the stock map when you install it so, if you ever uninstall it you will be going back to whatever map is on it, now tuned or not. Just something to think about.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

FexM3 is an unknown
The DP is not bellmouth, Ill be getting a bellmouth soon, looking into those now actually. With the OTS Stage 2 tune, I can take it to my tuner and have him tweak for a catless DP correct? I would like to stay catless if possible.

*I am very capable with cars, but tuning is a whole nother beast...thanks for the patience and questions.
#8 Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Yes, your tuner can tweak the ots maps.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!