Finally at stage 2, now a map question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-22-2008, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

kellersubi is an unknown
Finally at stage 2, now a map question

Ok, so here is my question, (sorry about the long post)
I drive a lighty modded 03 wrx, and recently went to cobb stage 2. Mods are as follows:

-Megan racing catless dp
-k&n panel filter in stock box, silencer removed.
-AccessPort V1, running 91 octane stage 2 map.
(up and tbe will come in near future as funds are available)

I did the install,it went fine. The car was stock before this and was never modded. So I bought the ap used, and the stage 2 map that it came with was version 1.22. Loaded the map car felt great. The next day I noticed on cobbs website an updated version of the map, version 1.30. So I figure the updated 1.30 stage 2 map must be better than the 1.22 stage 2 map that came with my accessport. So I download the newer map, flashed my ecu.
Then the test drive. Car seems to idle great, but other than that I was VERY dissapointed. Car was boost spiking all over the place at WOT, and seemed like it would only pull hard till about 4500 rpms, and power would drop. Turbo was boosting during high rms, but it seemed like the engine wasnt keeping up with the fuel or something. Car felt very weak. also gas milage sucked.
So I decided to bag the 1.30 version of the map and flashed back to the 1.22 version that came with my ap. Everything went back to normal, car runs perfect, hitting target boost(verifed by my boost gauge and the ap), and the car pulls hard all the way to redline. Couldn't be happier with it.
What gives?! I am confused, shouldn't the updated versions of maps be an improvement? Arn't these basically the same tune with minor changes? Anyone else experience something like this?? Ideas???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kellersubi; 03-23-2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-22-2008, 11:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Did you look at the map notes for that version? There might be some hardware on top of basic stage 2 it was made for. ie intercooler upgrade or something. Go to cobbs website get on their forum and ask them, or just call em, I heard they are pretty cool! Z

12.7 @ 109
#3 Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

kellersubi is an unknown
yes i read the notes, it was just the basic stage 2 91oct map for 02-03's.
#4 Old 03-23-2008, 05:35 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Usually when there are updates to the Cobb maps, its for the firmware itself not the map or map notes. I am not sure at all why your car responded to things like that. Did you contact Cobb about it? They are great people to talk and deal with. Im sure they might be able to offer some insight.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"