Subaru WRX Forum banner

final stage 2 checklist...

7K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  Jackstand Johnny 
#1 ·
looking to pull the trigger on a stage 2 + installation and tune. so far i have a 03 wrx with 123k and a few stage 1 mods. a borla 14978 cat back exhaust, cobb sf intake, and cobb v2 access port.

going to add an invidia catless up, cobb catted dp, cobb 3 port ebcs, walboro 255 lph fuel pump w/ install kit and all new gaskets.

i have been quoted 600 for the installation at 95 an hour and 500 for the tune + 150 for the dyno time because there is no in house tuner.

looking for advice as far as ANYTHING im missing as this is my first tune. looking for a tune for dd, smoothness and reliability, and hp as a distant last. I need this car to last first and foremost. anything you guys could think of would be awesome. :)

#2 ·
Looks like you got it covered unless of course you want even more fuel along with that pump, than maybe some injectors. But that's at all not needed.
The install price seems like it might be a bit high too.

#3 ·
yeah thanks, alot of people think the install price is high, but unfortunately that is not negotiable. apparently the shop thinks that the job should take 5-6 hours. and most subaru shops would take like 4, but this shop is the only option for me. i also think that the tune price is high too but like i said its the only option. :(

#5 ·
You could do must of that stuff with basic hand tools and a jack. The fuel pump being amongst the easiest. UP and DP are bit of a bitch to do sometimes, but honestly not all that bad (I just hate exhaust work). Cobb should have a base map for the set up, so go with it and save some money. Hell if you give me some time to get mine out of the way, bring that car down here and we can do it here.

#6 ·
I agree with Keith, and I'm more than willing to lend a hand with labor. Where are you looking to get tuned, I just moved up to NY but I know there are plenty of shops around the city and LI with in house tuners. That labor charge is also a little on the high side in my opinion, your looking at like 4 hours total work.

#7 ·
thanks guys, gettin all the stuff done here...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Auto-Works-NY/181830518539214?fref=ts - ------Elite Auto Works NY they do not have an in house tuner yet so they get the guys from here- https://www.facebook.com/especindustries?fref=ts and they come up and tune by appt. what elite told me after i called was that it could be less but he didnt really want to tell me that in case he said if they had trouble with something. which i think is fair considering theres probably gonna be some rusty bolts considering it is almost 13 years old.

#8 ·
Ahh if your looking at somewhere in Goshen you must be down near me. Have you looked at EFI Logics and The Shop? Both are two of the premier tuners in the Tri-State

#10 ·
yeah i hear a lot of good things about both shops. unfortunately they are much further than the shop im going to which is a nice 20-30 minutes as opposed to like three hours. havnt heard much about elite because they just added the dyno a year ago, but i did get a thumbs up for e-spec by a local subaru technician from the dealership. if anything ill give you guys a nice write up. the tuner will be up there the 18th so i should have everything taken care of then. thanks again guys.

#11 ·
^ If your only 20-30mins from Goshen then The Shop should only be about an hour and a half away. It's in Norwalk. EFI Logics should be close to the same it's just past Danbury on 84

#13 ·
well thanks to all of you that offered to help me, but my car SHOULD be getting tuned as i write this to pick up tomorrow. the tuner got into a car accident saturday so couldnt make it. the only problems where the o2 sensor was rusted and seized up and i got an oil change. so the total was like 635 for all that and the tune came to 600. not too bad and i only have to travel bout 25 minutes. so far props to elite for keeping me updated with goings on even after off hours. :) hopefully their work will be as good as the customer service.

#14 ·
well, got back from elite auto works. tune was good, car pulled hard, i am happy. the guys there worked overtime to try to getmy car runing good and i get my map with the cel delete prob monday. it took a while but like i said i am happy with the work in the end. oh and since cobb didnt update therir v2 firmware to work with windows 8.1 the tuner came all the way to my house to update on my windows 7 laptop. so even though i had a few issues i would recomend elite and will prob go there again.

#19 ·
well i went ahead and checked boost targets on the custom map. it was set to 1.18 bar which i think converts to like 17.1 psi. can you get that low of hp with that amount of boost? im wondering if there is some confusion about crank and hp to the wheels. because 237 hp to the wheels sounds about right, he said something about a 50 hp correction or something, but he said that would be for crank hp. the front desk dude was the guy who explained it and the tuner never got back to me yet.

#21 ·
What I believe he was telling you was your making 237awhp and if you wanted to know the crank hp rating add roughly 50hp to that number since the % of drive train loss is kind of hard to really calculate...so roughly 287chp...not to shabby.

#22 ·
the sheet sais i made 187hp, the guy explained to me that is what i was making to the wheels, and said that after the 50 hp correction i was making 237. i think he meant that is what i was making to the crank. could he have meant after the correction i was making the 237 to the wheels? i know cause thats like only like 10hp extra to the crank from stock.

#23 ·
On average most stg. 2 cars, that I've seen, make around 205-210whp. There are a lot of factors as well when it comes to dynos and the numbers produced by them. I usually just tell people to ignore the numbers because a dyno is a tool for tuning, but 187 just seems low to me.

#24 ·
Stock WRX's (02-05) make roughly 175awhp on a mustang dyno give or take a few hp. You should have been in the 205-220 area after a stage 2. In all seriousness if he only got you tuned for 187 you got the shaft. But it looks like if you can read the tables of your Map he didn't lock it. Which points me in the direction this guy is no good...

#25 ·
Stock WRX's (02-05) make roughly 175awhp on a mustang dyno give or take a few hp. You should have been in the 205-220 area after a stage 2. In all seriousness if he only got you tuned for 187 you got the shaft. But it looks like if you can read the tables of your Map he didn't lock it. Which points me in the direction this guy is no good. You will have more power with the OTS stage 2+ map.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.