Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Feedback wanted for my bugeye (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/feedback-wanted-my-bugeye-44978/)

onethirtyeight 02-14-2014 11:18 AM

Feedback wanted for my bugeye

I have recently purchased a 02 wrx wagon with 155,000 miles and wanting to upgrade some. I typically donít drive like Iím on a race track, especially with my kids in the car but occasionally I like to play when Iím driving by myself which is seldom. I have read many posts on various forums about the pros and cons of installing a catless down pipe, but I picked an Invidia catless bell mouth downpipe at a good price. I have not replaced the up-pipe yet but have one and wanted to install it at the same time. I also picked up a Cobb AP and would probably run the Stage 2 map of theirs. Iím thinking of just keeping my stock catback for now just to keep sound levels in check and maintain the stock appearance. I do know that the Cobb map was written for a catted dp setup but have read threads where people stated that they have ran it with a catless set up without problems. People also discuss ďboost creep,Ē but from my understanding it is mostly an issue with the 2.5ís. My car is not paid off and I would rather not be in the situation where I have to replace or rebuild the engine, but just like anything in life some risk is involved where any great benefits would result. Any honest feedback is appreciated. Thanks

arcticscythe 02-14-2014 12:44 PM

onethirtyeight,

It sounds like you are looking for a bit more power out of your daily driver, If you are interested in keeping the noise to a minimum I would do a stage 1 and skip the catless DP, removing restriction from the exhaust system will increase the noise. as far as boost creep you may just be in a good position with the stock exhaust. because it is slightly more restrictive than many aftermarket setups it may provide enough resistance that it stops the turbo from spinning too fast. I dont have any experience with catless DPs and stock exhausts running together but back pressure is back pressure as long as you log and you monitor your boost.

My recommendations would be to start with a stage 1 tune, it comes on the AP for free so there's nothing to lose. you should see some power gains and it will make driving more fun with minimal risk, It also wont increase the noise very much beyond the extra wooshing noise that comes with a bit more boost. If you dont mind a little more noise install that catless DP, tune for stage 2 and watch your boost levels carefully, if you pass the target boost levels then you can try the LWG maps or take it by a professional tuner.

And as always welcome to the community, see you on the road : )

onethirtyeight 02-14-2014 01:58 PM

Thanks for the quick response Jason. I should have mentioned that I have ran the 91 and 93 octane Stage 1 Maps and have noticed an improved power band, just wanting a little more. I have been able to hit 14 psi, which seems typical from what I have read. I don't think the added noise level would be more than acceptable. My 1 year old daughter actually loves to ride in my 12 valve Cummins that is considerable louder than my Subie. Keep the feedback coming please. Thanks,

Brandon

mosc 02-14-2014 02:30 PM

an exhaust shop can put a cat in the invidia dowpipe easy enough if that's what you want.

thekamikaze kid 02-14-2014 03:26 PM

have you datalogged the stage one map yet? if not it would be a good idea to do so before you go stage two. make sure everything is in good shape.

onethirtyeight 02-14-2014 03:37 PM

I have not data logged yet. What information should I pay close attention to when I do that? I didnt think about having a cat added to the dp and would that be worth the money?

thekamikaze kid 02-14-2014 04:43 PM

yah definately do a log before you upgrade again. there a should be a set list of parameters under the monitor menu. do a third gear pull and post the results (or just read them yourself) here or send them to cobb. heres a good vid.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEGZ-4dsDY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjEGZ-4dsDY[/URL]

arcticscythe 02-14-2014 04:53 PM

@thekamikaze kid , Couldnt agree more, log first then send your logs to cobb just to be safe, after that go ahead and drop that down pipe in, worst case you log a few pulls and if its not good for the system you can pull it out.

hope that helps : )

onethirtyeight 02-14-2014 05:15 PM

Cool and useful link. I will try to get a data log tonight. Thanks for all the help!

onethirtyeight 03-14-2014 09:54 PM

data log

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my data log. Let me know what you guys think.

thekamikaze kid 03-14-2014 11:44 PM

Your dam is low. You may have problem. Did you send your log to Cobb?

onethirtyeight 03-15-2014 11:27 AM

Not yet, what could the problem be?

thekamikaze kid 03-15-2014 02:28 PM

not sure what it could be. you seem to be hitting your boost targets just fine. im no expert. but the same thing happened to me turned out to be a dirty maf sensor. so it might just be something simple. maybe someone on here can help you better. if i were you id send the log to cobb and seee what they say.

onethirtyeight 04-04-2014 10:29 AM

I have a update! I flashed my car with a stage 1 91 octane map and still continued to fuel my car with 93 octane. I then ran a new data log and was able to see the correct number for my DAM. I also sent the log to Cobb and they responded with the approval to upgrade to a Stage 2!

thekamikaze kid 04-04-2014 01:52 PM

Congrats and good luck on the stage 2 tune! did the 91 oct map fix the dam or was it just that you didnt give it enough time to learn the tune?