Exhaust retune question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Exhaust retune question

I was looking to put a turboxs cbe on my 09 wrx. Currently it has been dyno tuned with an aftermarket up pipe, cobb down pipe and SPT cbe. Would i need to have my car retuned with this new cbe or am I only changing the exhaust tone?Thank you for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ruso is more helpful than not
Garage
You do not have to retune for a catback exhaust. Should be good to go!
post #3 of 10 Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Thank you for the reply. I had assumed as much but wanted a second opinion. The place I had it tuned at was a tad rude to me on top of not answering my question last time I contacted them. Thanks again.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-29-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Anyone know if the magna flow catback with the single outlet is a worthy upgrade over the spt cbe?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 03:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

the_guchi is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman91 View Post
Anyone know if the magna flow catback with the single outlet is a worthy upgrade over the spt cbe?
Not until some pretty large hp numbers. We are talking past what the stock turbo can do on e85
post #6 of 10 Old 01-01-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_guchi View Post
Not until some pretty large hp numbers. We are talking past what the stock turbo can do on e85

Alright thats good to know. What about sound? I feel like its pretty muddy sounding with the current exhaust. I got a really good deal on the magna flow but theres not a whole lot of videos on how it sounds. I think it'll sound good but not 100% positive.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-02-2017, 07:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
i have magnaflow straight through muffler and resonator. its cat-less and 3" the whole way to a single tip. very subtle under 3000 rpm. can pull away next to cops from a red light un-noticed. but when you but your foot down all hell lets loose. my tuner said he had to wear earplugs tuning my car.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #8 of 10 Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
i have magnaflow straight through muffler and resonator. its cat-less and 3" the whole way to a single tip. very subtle under 3000 rpm. can pull away next to cops from a red light un-noticed. but when you but your foot down all hell lets loose. my tuner said he had to wear earplugs tuning my car.
Nice man. I've been relatively unhappy with the SPT catback since I bought my car. Mine also has a cat-less down pipe but I believe the SPT is 2.5in not 3. I'm hoping the Magnaflow is a tad louder and not so muddy (this kit doesn't have a resonator). I'm tired of wondering why my car doesn't sound as good as some of the other guys on the road lol. Thanks for the reply I'm 100% confident the Magnaflow is what I'm hoping to achieve now.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
my whole turbo back is made from Lahute Performance. they just happen to use magnaflow products in their custom exhaust

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #10 of 10 Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jman91 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
my whole turbo back is made from Lahute Performance. they just happen to use magnaflow products in their custom exhaust
Yea a custom tuned exhaust is the way to go. I got my cat back today it looks really nice the muffler is small and straight through. Something tells me it will be louder than I was anticipating, which is fine (people said they could hear me over a block away in my last car, so a loud car is not new territory for me). I'm most likely gonna install it after work tomorrow so we will see. I'm really excited. My co worker agreed with me today that my car doesn't sound as good as it should with the current set up...So it's not just me that think it doesn't sound right.