EJ205 help!!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

speedontwo is an unknown
EJ205 help!!!!

so a friend of mine bought a japan spec EJ205 and now is stuck with an engine with no wiring! does anyone know of a wiring harness that may fit this engine other than the harness that was on it before it was shipped?? any help would be very very appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Could always use a stand alone. Thats about your only other option, other than to re-wire and re-pin the stock USDM one.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 12 Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What year is the engine, and what car is it going into? Depending on your answer, you may have to do a lot... or hardly anything.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

speedontwo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
What year is the engine, and what car is it going into? Depending on your answer, you may have to do a lot... or hardly anything.
well here's the twist, it's going into a racing rail buggy, he got everything he could out of the VW and decided to try the scooby engine to get some more HP
post #5 of 12 Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If the engine is from a GD, you could pick up a USDM WRX harness (02-05), and everything except AVCS will simply plug in. They are very easy to find on nasioc.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

speedontwo is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by WReXd View Post
If the engine is from a GD, you could pick up a USDM WRX harness (02-05), and everything except AVCS will simply plug in. They are very easy to find on nasioc.
so without the "AVCS" the engine will still run and perform up to par?
post #7 of 12 Old 01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Without AVCS it will perform about as well as a USDM ej205. In case you don't know, AVCS is variable intake valve timing. The car will work just fine without it, but you'll gain some low end torque if it's hooked up.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
um no...the cams are completely different and without the AVCS the motor will constantly have the cams in "High Lift Mode" and it will have pretty much zilch in the low-end

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #9 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basco View Post
the cams are completely different
I would love to see where you got this information. Obviously they have to be different to be AVCS compatible, but you must mean lift and/or duration are "completely different." I've driven a jdm motor before with AVCS not running, and the low end felt just like a USDM ej205. Granted, that was an ej207, but the concept is the same (no low end without AVCS).
post #10 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 01:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yes the lift and duration are different...once I get home I'll post them b/c I don't have the FSM's on my iPhone...and if it was a full JDM spec 207 the reason the low end would've felt the same is because they come stock with a twin-scroll setup that spools much faster

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #11 of 12 Old 02-01-2010, 02:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

QUOTE=basco;239435]they come stock with a twin-scroll setup that spools much faster[/QUOTE]
Faster than a vf30, sure, but I doubt it spools faster than a td04. Regardless, I have driven 2 of them with various turbos (twinscroll and not) and the low end isn't that bad without AVCS. Plus I'm willing to bet the lift and duration on the 207 is less aggressive than the 205 to support the higher redline, which means the jdm 205 should have even more torque down low.

Anyway, I look forward to the cam specs. I was never able to find conclusive data about the lift and duration for the USDM and JDM motors.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

WTRacing is more helpful than not
since this is going into a rail buggy go standalone !!!!! less of a headache in the end i think