ECU Refresh Rates + Logging - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-07-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Sinister is an unknown
ECU Refresh Rates + Logging

Ron got me turned onto the idea of the Magden Mb.1 for my 06 wrx.

I'd like to use it for tuning, and I'd be getting the Zeitronix Zt-2 to go with it.

The Zeitronix refreshes at a 30hz rate, and while researching, the OBD-II on the 32bit ECUs refresh at a 5hz rate. I'm concerned that datalogging will have the zeitronix and the OBD-II mismatched. I don't know if the refresh rate of the OBD-II changed with the 64bit (non-CANBUS) ECU as well. Right now I use the AccessPort as my "gauge cluster" and it seems much faster than 5x's a second.

Any insight from someone with realworld experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2009, 07:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Have you already purchased the Magden M.1b? If not, I recommend that you reconsider buying it. For the price of the "performance computer" you can buy a REAL carputer: screen, motherboard, power supply, everything, which will be a lot more useful, capable, and versatile than the Magden unit. Aside from music, video, GPS, etc., a carputer can also refresh its readings a lot faster than the Magden unit because of software like EvoScan which utilize the SSM protocol (the Accessport probably does too, which is why it refreshes so quickly). The only thing a carputer can't do that the Magden can is integrate aftermarket sensors other than WBO2 (EGT, oil temperature, oil pressure, etc.). However there is someone writing a program to change that now.

If you're set on buying the M.1b, I would not be at all concerned about its refresh rate not "matching" with the zeitronix. You should be concerned about it refreshing too slowly... period. If the OBDII refresh rate is frequent enough not to bother you, I doubt that putting the zeitronix readings next to it will.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Unless you know the Magden's full specs it's a moot point as far as refresh rate. I mean it only needs to be able to do 10hz to perfectly sample the data. I could see the whole Carputer thing actually being more $$$ and more of a PITA. The only way you will get blazing fast sample rates is by using external sensors to sample from. The SSM protocol is the problem.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement