E85 stage 2 2005 wrx? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-05-2014, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
E85 stage 2 2005 wrx?

E85 fuel FAQ - NASIOC

According to that link all you need to run e85 would be a set of sti pink 565cc injectors on anything stage 2 or lower. Has anyone tried this? My car is flashed at stage 2 via open source... I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried this before?
In that link he says you need 30% larger injectors. He even says that tuning is not required for low boost lower power situations like stage 2

Stock 420cc injectors x 1.30 = 546cc = pretty damn close to 565 pink injectors.

If all you need to run e85 on a stage 2 2.0 is a set of sti pinks then I have been missing out big time...

I almost want to try to dump e85 in and some pinks and do some logging on my stage2 base map to see... I'm sure I'd see some gains and eventually with a pro tune I could be up near 300wtq with only a set of $100 injectors and the cost of tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-05-2014, 01:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
E85 is a complete waste of time on a TD04. Just go straight to a VF.

Hotrod is a well known tard. The no tuning part is not there to compensate for that. It's there as a fail safe to account for temperature, altitude, humidity, and other potential issues. The ECU may be able to adjust somewhat for fueling, but you need that margin to not blow your engine running regular pump. By attempting you're run E85, you're not only getting extraordinarily bad results (and no benefits at all), but reducing your ECU's compensation margin to nothing before you even take into account the environmental factors that should matter to you.
#3 Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
From the dyno graphs I have seen e85 is not a waste, decent power gain and big time torque gain. I'm more looking to hear from people with actual experience in what I'm asking for, I don't see how my motor is going to explode if I log it to make sure it's not knocking and the afrs and timing are safe. I am sure that I'm not going to get an extra 40-50 tq just by slapping in injectors and dumping in e85. But if it runs decent then it would be a great way for people to start running e85 without $1000+ initial cost... 200 bucks a week is a lot easier to do than 1.5k all at once... Abd even if your saying it's a waste you will already be running e85 when you do decide on a bigger turbo.

I think it's fun to try and find ways to max out any turbo, rather than just slap on a 20g and big injectors and get 300wtq but not spool until 4l rpms... People don't realize that just because you can get 350whp easily with a tdo6 20g doesn't mean that you should, when that power level is achievable with a faster spooling turbo like a big 16g or tdo5 20g.

If I go new turbo it's going to be either a tdo5 20g and I'll be aiming for 400+ whp or a rotated big turbo with super high power goals, neither of which are going to happen right now.
#4 Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I don't see anything wrong with getting a little extra power out of our tiny snail with E85 but I do NOT agree with doing it in the manner outlined above. Fuel pump, injectors, and tuning would most def be required to do it properly.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mcd View Post
From the dyno graphs I have seen e85 is not a waste, decent power gain and big time torque gain. I'm more looking to hear from people with actual experience in what I'm asking for, I don't see how my motor is going to explode if I log it to make sure it's not knocking and the afrs and timing are safe. I am sure that I'm not going to get an extra 40-50 tq just by slapping in injectors and dumping in e85. But if it runs decent then it would be a great way for people to start running e85 without $1000+ initial cost... 200 bucks a week is a lot easier to do than 1.5k all at once... Abd even if your saying it's a waste you will already be running e85 when you do decide on a bigger turbo.

I think it's fun to try and find ways to max out any turbo, rather than just slap on a 20g and big injectors and get 300wtq but not spool until 4l rpms... People don't realize that just because you can get 350whp easily with a tdo6 20g doesn't mean that you should, when that power level is achievable with a faster spooling turbo like a big 16g or tdo5 20g.

If I go new turbo it's going to be either a tdo5 20g and I'll be aiming for 400+ whp or a rotated big turbo with super high power goals, neither of which are going to happen right now.
Except for the fact that it's cheaper AND easier to run a VF than a stock turbo E85 setup. Think about what you are having to buy.

E85 TD04L
Injectors + fuel pump + TMIC + Accessport (unless you plan on having a laptop in the car at all times to switch between pump and E85) + 2 tunes

VF
Injectors + fuel pump + TMIC + turbo + 1 tune

You get better results out of the VF. You get higher peak numbers, you hold those numbers longer into the power band, you will get better fuel economy, you don't have to run multiple maps (an AP is required for E85 due to varying fuel access), and you don't have to deal with this: http://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-...lcohol-256024/.

That's why E85 on a stock turbo is a waste of money.