E85 conversion on a 07 WRX? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-18-2011, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

helloimD4NNY is an unknown
E85 conversion on a 07 WRX?

Yay or nay? I've heard that it burns cleaner and is better for the engine but I don't know too much about this? What do you guys think? How much do conversions to E85 usually run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-18-2011, 12:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What are your goals? Do you have many E85 pumps in the area? Will need larger fuel pump and injectors to start. If you have a catalytic converter, will need to get rid of it. If I had more pumps available to me I would do it.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#3 Old 09-18-2011, 01:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Right now my WRX is my dailydriver but I still want to get some HP gain as I want to track my car in the future. As for E85 pumps I have a gas station that has E85 available 2 miles down the street for $3.16/gallon vs $3.89/gallon for premium. That's what got me wondering.

Also my car is bone stock with the exception of an muffler. I plan to buy a turbo back exhaust after I get coilovers.
#4 Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostinChick View Post
If you have a catalytic converter, will need to get rid of it.
Why would he need to go catless? I put down close to 400whp on E85 with a catted downpipe with no problems.

As for the OP's question all you need to do is upgrade your fuel system, with bigger injectors 850cc at a minimum and a bigger fuel pump, as boostinchic said and get a protune to run it all safe and get the most power out of it.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#5 Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cost is about $800-1000, maybe more if you have to pay somebody to install your pump and injectors. If you don't have the skill to do it yourself you can save by buying used parts as well.

#6 Old 09-18-2011, 03:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

What size injectors would you recommend?
#7 Old 09-18-2011, 06:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I believe you can run up to a 30-35% mixture without tuning. Also keep in mind your fuel economy will drop by 20%. E85 runs alot richer than regular gas and therefore needs more of it so you'll be filling up more frequent. Honestly it's not worth the switch unless you have or are getting ready to do major up grades to the car. You'll have to replace injectors, pump and get tune. As far as cats go you don't have to replace them, most newer cats are designed to run on it anyway. Gas now has 10% Ethanol in it anyway.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 09-18-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: stupid ergonomic keyboard...
#8 Old 09-18-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

BoostinChick is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
Why would he need to go catless? I put down close to 400whp on E85 with a catted downpipe with no problems.

As for the OP's question all you need to do is upgrade your fuel system, with bigger injectors 850cc at a minimum and a bigger fuel pump, as boostinchic said and get a protune to run it all safe and get the most power out of it.
IMHO if you are going to do all the work to set yourself up for E85 may as well get rid of the cat as well. A proven power increase with no cat.

If your car is your daily may be a pain if you are planning trips further than 2-miles from that gas station. Unless you like planning trips and mapping out E85 stations along the way.

- Sandra
2007 WRX TR | Stage 2 | PAR Gearset (Built by AndrewTech)
#9 Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its also a pain in the butt to get the tune basically dumbed down to a poor mixture of E85. Unless your tuner is familar with E85 and how to tune it in....that you might be making some return trips to your tuner to get the tune in better for a bad mix of E85. E85 is not regulated and the mix can be different everytime you fill up. Somethings to think about are: its harder to start your car in the winter, worse gas mileage, and its not available everywhere is also some down sides.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#10 Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

^ I've heard this before about the mix being off because its not regulated. I've been running it for over a year with no problems, never having to get retuned execpt for when I switched out turbos. It could be also be because only two stations around me have E85 and they both get it from the same place. Also about going on long trips, if you can't find a station that carries it just plug in your EM and switch maps.

#11 Old 09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can run up to about 25% E85 before you NEED to tune for it. You won't make any more power, but the ECU has the ability to add +/-25% fuel correction based on what it sees from the engine.

As for the quality, it can be all over the board, but if you're like me you get gas at stations you trust in the first place, and those stations are known for having higher quality gas.

The three stations I use for E around town have come back anywhere from E80-E90 so they're all pretty good. We'll see what the winter mix comes out to once they switch over.

-Chris
#12 Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
True....I guess if you keep filling up at the same place it won't be that bad. But, availabilty is the hard part in some places. Ask around...newtothegame knows a guy with a EVO that had some issues with his car once he ran a bad mix of E85. Its one of the few reason I'll stay away from it until my tuner finally says he is comfortable with it. I'm pathetically contemplating upgrading my fuel system and see what my car makes with VP racing fuel one time to have dyno queen numbers. lol

Kirt
#13 Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
You can run up to about 25% E85 before you NEED to tune for it. You won't make any more power, but the ECU has the ability to add +/-25% fuel correction based on what it sees from the engine.

As for the quality, it can be all over the board, but if you're like me you get gas at stations you trust in the first place, and those stations are known for having higher quality gas.

The three stations I use for E around town have come back anywhere from E80-E90 so they're all pretty good. We'll see what the winter mix comes out to once they switch over.
I remember reading that you could run 30%, granted that was with an older model so maybe that has changed. I never really got into the corn much because 1) The nearest station is an hour away, 2) It's a waste on my mods, 3) I drive my car all the time and really don't like paying more for gas than I have to....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 09-19-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

corn is less money, but worse gas mileage...

Kirt
#15 Old 09-19-2011, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

My point. I'd be filling up more often and not really saving any money because I do alot of in town driving.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...