E-tune or dyno tune? - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 09-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmr2 View Post
Dyno is the only way to go.
I went with a e-tune simply because I dont trust or know enough about any of the tuners with a dyno in my area. I am extremely happy with my tune. No knock and afr's are dead on. I used phat ron at phatbotti tuning. Him and his partner sti mikey are among the best in subaru tuning. Sure a dyno tune will always be best and I may have squeezed a little more power out of one but, I'm happy. Agreed that dyno is the way to go but, not the only way to go
texasmr2 likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
I went with a e-tune simply because I dont trust or know enough about any of the tuners with a dyno in my area. I am extremely happy with my tune. No knock and afr's are dead on. I used phat ron at phatbotti tuning. Him and his partner sti mikey are among the best in subaru tuning. Sure a dyno tune will always be best and I may have squeezed a little more power out of one but, I'm happy. Agreed that dyno is the way to go but, not the only way to go
Yes sir I hear what your saying.
#33 Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

daddysfastcar is an unknown
Thanks to boo-key-bear I had Ron with Phatbotti tuning do my car as well I had some issues with my car and Ron was awesome being patioant and giving me some insight as to what my car was doing. I was able to get the issues fixed and now I am done with my tine and it is awesome. Ron is in the process of installing his new Mustang Dyno and I would love to put the car on it. But as fas as an e-tune Ron took his time and answered all question I mean all even the duumb ones. He is the MAN. So Thanks Ron and Phatbotti tuning.
boo-key bear and Nathan21 like this.

Ben
04 WRX
Phatbotti tuned.
#34 Old 10-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Glad your happy ben! IMHO a e-tune is the same exact thing as a road tune just without the tuner sitting next to you but, will never be a replacement for a dyno tune. Heres some pros and cons:
Road/E-Tuning Pros
- loads and environment are exactly what the car is going to see everyday
- hood is down, heatsoak is exactly how it will be daily, underhood aerodynamics are accounted for
- you get in the habit of monitoring your own vehicle
- you get an understanding of the tuning process and can see whats being changed
- you get a better understanding of when it is/isnt a good idea to beat on your car
- more involved process. you are the one driving the car. you have control of when to get out of a pull if you think something is wrong.

Road/E-Tuning Cons
- time. the process can take 1-2 weeks or way longer....some people send 10 logs a day....some send 1 log a month.....some people pay then take 3-4 weeks to get their AP serial #. 95% of the time Ron is waiting on logs from customers...the 5% where they have to wait is because he is either driving or seeing family on a holiday.
- speeding. traffic tickets are a possibility.
- traffic, accidents, old ladies, animals, weather can all come into play on the road
- troubleshooting mechanical issues via the internetz sux teh ballz

Dyno Tuning Pros
- You're at a shop with mechanics who can troubleshoot real time
- Greater level of detail and consistency of power measurement
- Dont have to worry about traffic tickets, traffic, weather, etc
- you get a pretty dyno chart

Dyno Tuning Cons
- load/environment replication. personally i've never seen a car driving down the street with its hood popped and a fan mounted in front of it.
- since the tuning is done with the hood open underhood aerodynamics arent taken into account at all. intake air temperatures are not close to being on the road. coolant temps can also get really high on the dyno.
- Dom @ MPS on road tuning after dyno tuning. "(Detuning on the road) is because you tuned the car with high IAT (on the dyno) and now you need to compensate for the cooler IATs you got in the real world. This is the same misconception most tuners/shops have in this country. They don't realize that you get more airflow over the car, through the engine bay and radiator at 20mph than you get on the shop floor with 3 fans in front of it. You have to look at the air over the car as a difference in pressure. The under-tray creates a low pressure region under the car and draws air through the intercooler and radiator. Floor fans alone can't provide enough pressure to do this."

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!