Subaru WRX Forum banner

E-tune or dyno tune?

37K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 ·
Alright, so i have got all my mods together and am ready to tune after I find the time to install. My problem is choosing a tuner. My current mods are catless tbe, and cobb ap. I am currently tuned via e-tune from pdx tuning. I am not very happy with my tune right now. I am no expert and truth be told know very little about what im looking at in my datalogs but, something just feels off about my current tune. My goals are first and foremost a safe dd tune! After that more power, and a fun to drive car for the occasional honduh spanking, dragon run, or just some spirited driving. Mods to be added this go around are tgv deletes, air pump delete, pnp sti intake manifold, phenolic spacers, wideband afr gauge, k&n short ram intake, perrin turbo inlet, grimmspeed 3 port ebcs, and grimmspeed coated v-band uppipe with tial 38 mm wastegate.

There is a shop in town with a dyno that tunes subarus but, I cant find anything out about their reputation. I will include a link to their website. I'm not crazy about trusting my engine to someone with no reputation. My other option is another e-tune. This time I am considering torqued performance because I have saw nothing but good reviews about them. What do you guys think is the best way to go?

Welcome to Fastech Motorsports

#4 ·
Like mentioned, e-tuning can take multiple times to get right and also requires some computer skills unless thing can get frustrating. I have 2 friends that have tried e-tuning on non Subarus and stopped due to lack of quality, time needed, and overall brain damage aquired lol! I personally am a fan of a dyno/street pro tune (which can be done with your AP) as it's truly dialed in to YOUR car and YOUR mods. An off the shelf stage 2 from Cobb would be a "safe" way to go as well. If you do go pro tune just call Cobb and they'll hook you up with their closest reputable tuner.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
That is the thing. There is no closest reputable tuner in my area. Other than a etune this shop that I cant find anyone who has used is my only option in town. Driving a long distance for a tune is not an option for me. There is a subaru club in town and even they have never used this tuner (for reasons unknown). They drive to North Carolina for tuning. The lack of Reputation is the only thing that worries me about using them. Other than that I know that a dyno tune is always better than a tune not done in person.

#9 ·
update: I just called fastech (local shop) and they charge a flat rate of 500 for a dyno tune and the guy told me after I install my mods there is no need for them to send me a map to safely make it to their shop to get tuned. He said "just dont get on it". From my research and understanding I will at least need a limp map to make it there. Am I wrong?

#31 ·
I went with a e-tune simply because I dont trust or know enough about any of the tuners with a dyno in my area. I am extremely happy with my tune. No knock and afr's are dead on. I used phat ron at phatbotti tuning. Him and his partner sti mikey are among the best in subaru tuning. Sure a dyno tune will always be best and I may have squeezed a little more power out of one but, I'm happy. Agreed that dyno is the way to go but, not the only way to go ;)

#33 ·
Thanks to boo-key-bear I had Ron with Phatbotti tuning do my car as well I had some issues with my car and Ron was awesome being patioant and giving me some insight as to what my car was doing. I was able to get the issues fixed and now I am done with my tine and it is awesome. Ron is in the process of installing his new Mustang Dyno and I would love to put the car on it. But as fas as an e-tune Ron took his time and answered all question I mean all even the duumb ones. He is the MAN. So Thanks Ron and Phatbotti tuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.