Displaying Engine Information On Double-Din DVD - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-28-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baracat is an unknown
Displaying Engine Information On Double-Din DVD

Hi Everyone,
First, I would like to say that I am kinda new to this forum, and really have no experience with car modding, to be real, I have always been in love with cars and as a prize for entering university here in Brazil I got an '08 WRX Hatchback.
As I told you above, I have always been passionate about cars, and engines in all ways possible. Now that I got my car, I am getting interested into tuning it, and I have heard a lot of good possibilities of tuning the WRX.
What I really wanted to ask in this post is kind of and idea I had based on watching Fast and Furious movies. I have seen that it is possible to monitor engine information with gauges on the car, but I really dont like the idea of modifying the interior of the WRX, so what I thought was: Could you buy some sort of unit that would receive all information on the engine (Boost, AFR Ratio, Oil Pressure, etc), process this information and then send it to an A/V device?
I think this would be a very useful solution for 2 din dvd users like me, because we always have an extra RCA input that we would like to put to use, so I googled for a long time this kind of "ELECTRONIC-DIGITAL gauge" but have had no success
I would like to know if there is some sort of product like the one I mentioned, and if you guys have any suggestions for me
Any Help Will Be appreciated
thankfully,
Baracat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 02:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
So far I've never seen anything, but with my simple history of installing and making a wiring harness to convert my wife's non-nav MDX to nav, I know it's possible, but you'd also need to dedicate a computer to do so. You'll need a converter to take a VGA connection (computer monitor output) to Composite-video (check it out on "www.cablestogo.com"). Essentially you're just trying to display whatever could be shown on the computer screen on the 2DIN display. You'd have to run the resolution of the computer @ 800x480 or somewhere around there, running at 30 Hz (That's crazy low resolution). Next, you'd have to find a computer with a program to monitor your vitals. Something like they're talking about on this forum. Then you'd be able to run it, but as of right now, I have seen nothing that's just going to have a video out for you to hook up running 12 volts. Honestly, I'd still put my money into go fast bits instead of a display, but if you've received the car as a gift in Brazil, you're probably not as concerned with the money. I know how much that'll go for down there, so I'll leave it at that. If you have any questions or want me to clarify, please let me know. Do you have the NAV/DVD, or just installed an aftermarket one? (Tambem falo Portugues, mas faz um tempao, entao se precisa de algo e for mais facil comunicar em Portugues eu estaria bem falar com voce.)
post #3 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
There a product made in japan that converts the data into video, I think it costs $125 for the circuit board that can accomplish this. There a thread on nasioc right now about it.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
post #4 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Pioneer needs to just make some software to read the info off of the USB port on the back of the F series. There are already plenty of ODB-II to USB cables to do it with.

That or cobb should make a double din AP2 with a touchscreen and a stereo.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baracat is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
There a product made in japan that converts the data into video, I think it costs $125 for the circuit board that can accomplish this. There a thread on nasioc right now about it.
Could you be a little more specific on this product, I have searched North American Subaru Impreza Club but have had no success, anyways, thanks for your help, and if I finally accomplish my goal I will be happy to share pics with you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Pioneer needs to just make some software to read the info off of the USB port on the back of the F series. There are already plenty of ODB-II to USB cables to do it with.

I really didnt understand what you meant. Sorry, but thanks for the help!

Last edited by mosc; 10-01-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: DP
post #6 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baracat is an unknown
I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post! I Will Not Double Post!

Last edited by mosc; 10-01-2009 at 05:23 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Quote:
Originally Posted by baracat View Post
Could you be a little more specific on this product, I have searched North American Subaru Impreza Club but have had no success, anyways, thanks for your help, and if I finally accomplish my goal I will be happy to share pics with you guys!
Virtual Gauge Software - NASIOC

And yeah if and when you get pics we'll be happy to see 'em!!!
post #8 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post

I really didnt understand what you meant. Sorry, but thanks for the help!
What he means is: the F-series of head units (2DIN DVD players) made by Pioneer have a USB port. They just haven't developed the software to make it read information and display it on screen. He was just commenting that they should have done that. The second part of his post was commenting that Cobb tuning, based out of Utah only a few miles from here, should manufacture their AccessPort (AP) in a double-DIN setup to display that info as well. If you want those kind of gauges, the AP can display it, but it wouldn't be on your DVD screen. Did that make more sense?
post #9 of 19 Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
You know...after reading that forum link I posted, the one program that looks like it would be awesome is the Dashcommand from Palmer Performance... DashCommand - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.
Anyone use this? It looks really cool...I have the AP and I know it can work as gauges, but is the reason why it is inaccurate, is it due to being all digital from the ecu, or because the AP wasn't built for precise data monitoring? (Sorry for thread jacking...)
post #10 of 19 Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baracat is an unknown
I think I have my final project:

- One viliv x70ex
- Ecutek Engine Management Software (ODBII-USB)

This way I can monitor all my gauges through the ViliV that will be attached to the front glass.
post #11 of 19 Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by baracat View Post
I think I have my final project:

- One viliv x70ex
- Ecutek Engine Management Software (ODBII-USB)

This way I can monitor all my gauges through the ViliV that will be attached to the front glass.
I looked at that pc, and it looks sweet! Where and how exactly do you plan to place that? Would it fit in the Double DIN?
post #12 of 19 Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

baracat is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by airplnmdls View Post
I looked at that pc, and it looks sweet! Where and how exactly do you plan to place that? Would it fit in the Double DIN?
I still dont know how Im doing it but Im gonna ask the guy at the tune shop to try and do some kind of support for the umpc, but if that is not possible, i think ill attach it like a gps...
still not happy with this solution tough...
post #13 of 19 Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM

Garage
It'd be hard to mount that thing as a 2-din unit. Also, it's not hooked up to the car stereo. I'd rather have an F series pioneer unit and an AP or regular gauges.

post #14 of 19 Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
It looks like they make some really small computers that you can put under the seat, and the run the RCA video wire to a touchscreen that can work as the mouse and keyboard....it would be nicer if it was all in one unit...They have to make a double DIN touchscreen that has a computer in the back...the technology is not that crazy...I guess I just haven't found any yet...
post #15 of 19 Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Garage
And with all that, it's still a pain in the ass to actually hook it up to speakers.