DIFFERENT ANTI-LAG SETUP .. Looking for Opinions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
DIFFERENT ANTI-LAG SETUP .. Looking for Opinions

OK so I just got back from a camping/rally weekend in the hills. While I was there I came across an interesting setup in an STI. He has an '04 STI that is running about a STG2 or so. He has his own version of anti-lag in which he uses NOS(I believe it would be about a 25shot or something small) to keep his turbo spooled. I did not get a whole lot of time to chat with this guy, but to me it seems strange to use NOS . A few points that he did mention was that this setup is apparently not as stressful/hard on the car(even a little less stressful on the turbo), cheaper/easier to setup and maintain.

So my question is .... HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THIS KIND OF SETUP ??? Not that I would run anti-lag, but in general and in your own opinion, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
It's pretty much impossible for any shot of nitrous to be less stressful on any component of the motor. But I suppose if you're rally racing and it's within guidelines, it would be a good idea. Also, the bottle would run out real fast if he is doing this consistently.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#3 Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
what you are talking about is what lots of drifters do. As long as the engine is built for it it should last a long time. I know a 25 shot isnt a whole lot but it is still instantly putting that much more stress on everything.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#4 Old 10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Well I know that he had 2 20lbs bottles in the backseat and he had said that they last for more than a day of rallying. Like I said I didnt really get a chance to talk to him a whole lot but from my understanding(and the class he was running in) was that the internals of the motor would have to be stock. Maybe a little bit could be done but I couldnt see him getting away with much?!

So do you think you still have to have the upgraded ECU to accomodate the anti-lag? or is there another way to set it up?
#5 Old 10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
I'm starting to find out that in newer Subaru's, no mods are safe without engine management. I personally wouldn't...

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#6 Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

BAMBO is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL Scooby View Post
I'm starting to find out that in newer Subaru's, no mods are safe without engine management. I personally wouldn't...
Oh I definatly agree that any changes you make to your subaru should be backed with EM for the upgrade/change. My question is though, would you have to use an aftermarket ECU or will a stock WRX ECU be able to handle or even capable of this anti-lag setup?

I know that an '04 STI ECU is capable of different things (ex. launch control). Is it capable of other features not available on the WRX???
#7 Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

archimedes00 is an unknown
I think this is what he had.

OK, I know this thread is a little old, but I felt I could add something to it that may help you.
As we know , ALS is used often in rally. Note that some regional or national European events prohibit the use of ALS systems while more and more WRC events regulate the noise levels allowed by competition cars effectively disabling ALS. Starting in 2002 new anti-lag techniques, such as Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), are slowly overtaking the method described above as they are kinder on the engine's mechanical parts.

Now before you say " But most cars use a system like that now and it blows as it robs me of HP..." go to this site and read the article, I hope it helps you understand the system that he was most likely using, and you will see exactly how different it is.

Exhaust gas recirculation - Top Speed

Racing is racing, and it should be loud, fast and scary as hell at times. Long live ALS !!!

Watching , Waiting, passing time.
#8 Old 04-25-2008, 02:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
In this day and age people will bitch and moan about anything. Look at Laguna Seca's sound regulations. Look at the setup AMS had to run on their evo to pass the sound check, and they still failed it too, with the tip pointed away from the sound station. 3 mufflers and the tip pointed the opposite direction and still failed...

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#9 Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Man thats awesome Robby. Do you know if thats street legal? Might look into that for my car, LMFAO, NOT.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
In this day and age people will bitch and moan about anything. Look at Laguna Seca's sound regulations. Look at the setup AMS had to run on their evo to pass the sound check, and they still failed it too, with the tip pointed away from the sound station. 3 mufflers and the tip pointed the opposite direction and still failed...
Thank you for exemplifying one of the points of my post. The restrictions seem to become more and more ridiculous. It saddens me to see the pursuit of my passion ( racing ) slowly dying at the hands of whiners and pencil pushers , who's sole intent seems to be spoiling everyone else's fun, and mine. Racing should be crazy, ridiculous, loud !!! It's just in the nature of the sport, at least until the all electric race cars take over.

#11 Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Its cool, Im sure Nascar is allowed to run in their boring circles all day as loud as they want still. Just like motorcycles and muscle cars (nothing wrong with them, but they seem untouchable) can as loud as you want, but not the little 4 cylinders, they have to be at a certain decibel. BS.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 04-26-2008, 04:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

(1) 140 dB = firearms, air raid siren, jet engine

(2) 130 dB = A NASCAR Winston Cup race car at full throttle,
140+ if you include all the other cars.

(3) 120 dB = jet plane take-off, amplified rock music at 4-6 ft.

(4) 100 dB = Subaru World Rally Car at IDLE .

(5) 90 dB = lawnmower

(6) 92 dB = sound limit at Laguna Seca. ( sad but true, these are real facts. )

#13 Old 04-26-2008, 01:05 PM

That doesnt surprise me at all. Thanks for putting that up, nice comparison.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
good posts archimedes00, thanks for bringing back this thread

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thank you. I try to be helpful. Another thing to keep in mind is that the federal U.S. standard for the loudest an exhaust can be on public roads is 95 Db, Laguna Seca race track is 92. Of course individual states may have set their own limits. It is 95 where I am. LOL I can run a 3.5 inch APS exhaust legally on the street , just not on the track . What is the world coming to ?