Subaru WRX Forum banner

Decisions Need to be Made

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
So I got the bad news that I am likely looking at a rebuild on my 07 that has about 160,000 miles. What are your thoughts on doing the rebuild on a car with that many miles? The only other known issue is my front axles are close to shot, but I have been pretty proactive with my maintenance. Is it worth the rebuild? How much is reasonable (shop I had it at quoted $3500)? Should I trade it in and avoid a costly repair to just need another shortly down the road? Thanks for the thoughts...

#2 · (Edited)
I just rebuilt my '04 at at 252,000 km. In general, maintenance costs climb as a vehicle ages and lease/finance payments end.

So costs are generally lower for an older vehicle but there are unexpected maintenance costs and more time out of service while the car is being worked on.

If you want a performance motor or don't mind working on a vehicle that's aging then by all means rebuild. I took this path.

If you'd rather have a car payment instead of bothering with maintenance then move on to a newer vehicle.

#3 ·
Was the 3k just to rebuild the motor or for the motor and axels?
Set yourself a budget and go from there.
If you plan on going the rebuild route and having a garage do the work, I would look for a garage that has a good rep. with rebuilding Subaru engines.
Many say these engines are a breed of their own.

Good luck man.

#4 ·
a "costly" repair may not necessarily be so "costly" when compared to doing the math with respect to the total cost of the alternative option.

In other words, it may be more money upfront, but less money over the long run.

$3500 + maintenance costs for another 150k miles (at least) in an AWD turbo Subaru? Sounds like a bargain in my humble opinion.

However, I admit I am a bit biased...

#6 ·
I agree with John that it can get carried away.

However, even if you resist that urge to 'improve' more, you're going to find gear that needs to be replaced because of age. I'm replacing my intercooler y-pipe, gaskets, and intake duct in the process because they are tired from 10 years of use.

My a/c died in the process too, and now it needs to be serviced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.