Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Date/Time stamp? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/date-time-stamp-32118/)

turmic 03-01-2012 05:05 PM

Date/Time stamp?

Ok, so I'm posting this question because another member of the forum can't. He knows a guy that had his 08 STI engine take a dump. It shoulds like a spun bearing. The thing is...the owner bought the car used/certified from the dealership. He took it in and now the dealership is claiming the car was tuned. The owner of the car never tuned it. So, the previous owner must have tuned the car. Now the dealership is trying to deny warranty work.

The main question is. Which I think I already know the answer. Is there a date stamp or time stamp in the ECU check sums to tell you when the car was last flashed? All that I know is that the check sums change and that's how the dealership can tell its been flashed.

The other main problem is that certain build date 08 STIs had a TSB for a piss poor factory tune. That the dealerships had to perform a recall to flash a new tune onto the STIs to fix the lean original tune that came from the factory. I'm wondering if the dealership is so dumb and compared the check sum to the wrong check sum value because of that or the previous owner was really a idiot and left a stage 1 map on the car.

Just looking for way(s) to disprove the current owner is not stuck with the previous owner's f up.

pzr2874 03-02-2012 05:57 AM

When the dealer takes ownership of the car and they send it to the service dept, the service tech SHOULD have flashed it back to a stock map. THAT would show in their records. Have this person call the service dept and get verification.

I've said it more than once, if a dealer sells a tuned modded car, they take full responsibility for the remaining of the warranty.

As far as the date... he's SOL.

turmic 03-02-2012 09:27 PM

Thanks for your input paul. I'll pass it along.

basco 03-02-2012 10:45 PM

He's SOL factory ECUs don't have a time stamp

newtothegame 03-03-2012 08:49 AM

Dang that sucks Matt. Thanks everyone. I will be relaying all this info to my buddy. Its just said to see. He really liked the car, babied it. He traded in his 3 series BMW for the STI. Any other suggestion to maybe have him come out on top of this? Thanks again guys.

basco 03-03-2012 11:15 AM

if he never tuned it I would threaten litigation if the car was sold under a warranty

newtothegame 03-03-2012 07:36 PM

[quote=basco;276544]if he never tuned it I would threaten litigation if the car was sold under a warranty[/quote]

And this right here is why you guys are awesome. This is something I wouldnt have thought of. I will also run this idea by him and see what he thinks and where it gets him.

pzr2874 03-05-2012 06:04 AM

That's what I would do.