Custom Tune/ TMIC question - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-19-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yelljack is more helpful than not
Custom Tune/ TMIC question

I recently got a custom tune with a Cobb AP. The tech told me my XS-Power TMIC was restrictive, and I would be better off with a STI (OEM) TMIC. I don't doubt his advice, however he told me I'd have to retune after the swap. OK, that makes sense but he told me that swapping my exhaust from cat-less to highflow cat and/or changing my BOV out with a recirc would not require a retune. That doesn't make any sense to me. Any insight??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-19-2008, 04:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You can change all those parts without really effecting the tune much. The BOV is not really something he could tune out so really, it's tuned for a recirc one already most likely (as he started from cobb maps). The intercooler can be changed without effecting anything but your not going to see GAINS unless you push the tuning a little bit.

As for the stock STi intercooler being bigger than the XS-power one, I have no idea. Never heard of the XS-power brand but I can tell you that the STi intercooler ain't that big to begin with. I'd forget this suggestion as the new purchase, labor on swapping, and dyno time to re-tune would be $$$ for at most very small gains.

I'd just stick with what you got until your stock turbo starts to bother you. Then, go in with something a lot larger like a Perrin TMIC or a FMIC if you prefer.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #3 of 16 Old 07-19-2008, 07:28 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
XS power is a cheap bar and plate and the STi is a tube and fin.Generally bar and plate cores are less restrictive and have less of a pressure drop than tube and fin.You cannot really tune for a BOV and a aftermarket high flow cat really is not that restrictive a TBE.I would stay away from switching intercoolers or at least go with one from someone like CCS instead of the STi one.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #4 of 16 Old 07-19-2008, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The two top mounts I like right now are:

1. APS TMIC. It's absolutely the largest top mount intercooler that is possible to practically install in the 02-07 WRX or STI. Only problem is they're kind of expensive. I've seen them advertised for around 850 bucks (give or take).

2. CSS TMIC. It's slightly smaller than other large top mounts to combat the major issues of poor mounting fitment, rubbing a/c lines, and massive pressure drop. This kit is one of the few direct bolt on kits on the market. They're pretty inexpensive as far as top mounts go. I've seen them advertised for 350 bucks (give or take). They also have an optional black powdercoated tmic which looks pretty cool for a few bucks more.

I think I'd go with CSS over the STi tmic too, unless I got a really really good deal on one.

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 16 Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
Honestly I can't recommend CSS for anything... Had some bad dealings with them in the past.

I'd recommend the TurboXS or the Perrin TMIC. Yeah you get a little rubbing but a piece of velcro can take care of that. Just use the soft side as padding. I've had it on mine for about 20k miles and it's still there and hasn't rubbed through or melted.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
post #6 of 16 Old 07-20-2008, 02:10 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just from what I have read about TMIC, the biggest ones are the APS and TurboXS. And like stated above if you have or are worried about rubbing issues there are all kinds of ideas out there on what others have done to resolve it. I wouldnt change anything though like stated above. By the time you put all the money into it, it wont be worth the gain you got.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 16 Old 07-20-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

The mech told me the STi was less restrictive. If I change out intercoolers I am going with a front mount. Anybody know anything about Godspeed? My buddy has one on his 05 STi. He hasn't really given me any feed back.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I ran a Godspeed TMIC for a season, with a GFB hybrid BOV. Fitment was a little tricky but not horrible. Just had to protect the AC line with some tough hose, and skip the passenger side mount (would've had to reweld the tab, or fab something to get it to bolt down). I had to modify the Samco Y pipe (hose) to fit correctly, and cut down the throttle body hose a little. PDX produced maps for the larger TMIC, they didn't know what brand, just that it was larger. Boost built fully and quickly with it (sounded pretty good too).

I ran a lot of hot track events with that set-up and with a taller CF scoop, the car pulled really well regardless of ambient temps. I used a lot of heat-shield/ceramic coating to control under-hood temps too. Not having both sides secured was never an issue either, with the car getting thrashed frequently. I sold it and a number of other parts to help finance my other racer project. Good TMIC especially for the $$ ( I think I paid around $160)
post #9 of 16 Old 07-21-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I am looking at the FMIC, $300 I think, I really wanted a blacked out FMIC.... can they be powder coated?
post #10 of 16 Old 07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelljack View Post
I am looking at the FMIC, $300 I think, I really wanted a blacked out FMIC.... can they be powder coated?
Only coating I would recommend is a thermal dispersent.Any other coating you put on will act as an insulator and the core will disperse heat less efficiently.I don't recommend a FMIC on the stock turbo.Here is a good links about intercoolers:

ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)
FMIC FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
TMIC FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #11 of 16 Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

so will I really need a new custom tune or can I add to what has already been done. I haven't even plugged the Cobb back in since I got the car back in the beginning of the month. This type of stuff I only mess with a butt load of research.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelljack View Post
so will I really need a new custom tune or can I add to what has already been done. I haven't even plugged the Cobb back in since I got the car back in the beginning of the month. This type of stuff I only mess with a butt load of research.

Is it necessary? No. To see any kind of gains though you need a tune.

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
post #13 of 16 Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, roger that. I talked to my tuner today.... there is no cheap way out of this
post #14 of 16 Old 09-20-2008, 02:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
your "tech" is bs'ing you. there is NOOO freakin way an xs-power tmic will be more restrictive. less efficient, maybe, but definitely not restrictive. now a fmic might be...
post #15 of 16 Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

you are correct, sir.... that tuner was a bag of douche, it's ok they are no longer in business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement