crank pulley? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-05-2003, 05:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

mauiwowwie is an unknown
Question crank pulley?

hey everyone, i was just wondering what performance gains can i expect from replacing the stock crank pulley? Also, what exactly does the crank pulley do? Thanks alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2003, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
with the crank pulley, you wont get any more power...just the engine will have less rotating mass, therefore revving quicker, and with less lag. it helps on acceleration, since the engine isnt having as much weight to spin up to 6500rpm, it gets there quicker. ive seen several, but the perrin looks to be one of the best made units ive seen. hope this helps.
#3 Old 04-08-2010, 07:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnack is an unknown
^ fc735, I thought less rotational mass of any kind = HP!
#4 Old 04-08-2010, 07:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

sivart08 is an unknown
your not going to get any more hp your just gonna free up the hp you already have...same lines as fc735 was saying
#5 Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
This is an 8 year old thread....LOL

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#6 Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...yeah, but you gotta at least give them credit for searching and trying to be helpful instead of starting another thread

They're both right. Lightweight crank pulleys decrease rotational mass, allowing your engine to rev slightly faster (we're talking maybe several hundred rpms throughout the powerband which is hardly noticeable) which makes it slightly more effiencnt and technically gives you a little more power that would have otherwise been lost through unnecessary work by the engine to move a slightly heavier piece of metal in a circle... if you can follow that explanation.

I have a Perrin lightweight crank pulley on my 07 WRX and it's honestly more of a $100 (give or take) word that I can list in my mod list than something I can actually feel the effects of - but I'm still happy I have it. I'm also convinced that it won't harm your engine. Hope that helps anybody who might be interested.

John
07 WRX
#7 Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

ratfink is a helpful contributing member
I was reading the thread think "I've read this before". LOL

Good info. The old V8s benefited more from underdriven and light weight pulleys. Cars these days are already pretty good that way.

Brad

AEM CAI, Perrin ELH wrapped, Catted Downpipe, Stage II XPT tune, K4RT30Y STS, lip, shark fin
#8 Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ha yeah, me too.. I kept thinking to myself "not another one of these"

...but I bet at least one new person saw this and now they know. It would be nice to just have a group of several threads like this one that just cycle through every once in a while..

John
07 WRX