Couple questions. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

ramm21 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
New the tuning/subaru world. Not planning on doing anything crazy to my car but a couple bolt ons etc.

Wanting to get an intake, exhaust etc. Ive been reading that if i do put those parts on i need to tune em? true?

So if i put those parts on im not planning on going to a tuner, just get the AP and do it my self, Im just wondering what would people recommend and what would they go with.

2011 WRX HB
I was in the same boat as you like 4 months ago. I was going to stop at stage2, but addictive behavior happens haha.
As far as an AP, I have the Cobb. I ran stage1 for a couple of months, now Im stage2. Honestly, stock to stage1 is the biggest difference in power, smoothness, etc.. stage2 power is less noticable compared to going from stock to stage1. I like having the AP, but im about to get a protune ### i want to go beyond stage2, so im kind of rethinking that investment. I say if you go stage 2 w/without an intake get ap, if more then that just put everything on at once, protune, and be done with it!

-Miguelito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just because you have now decided to go beyond stage 2 does not mean that the AP is useless. I run a 20G on my 07 with multiple maps to choose from (12 to be exact). Its much easier and convinient to have the AP in the car over a laptop to log and switch maps. If I throw a CEL while driving I can stop and check it out without having to worry about limping the car back home to check it out. Yes the AP is expensive, but I have got my money and then some out of it. Just my two cents.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#18 Old 08-12-2011, 11:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
I'm with newtothegame, I love my AP and use it everyday. I to run a 20g on a built motor so there is no limit on what an AP can do. The great thing is I can switch from my pump gas maps to my E85 maps and run low or high boost whenever I want, without having to deal with a big ass laptop. Talk to your tuner and see if he works with the AP if not find a good one who does and be happy that it wasn't a waste of money.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#19 Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Just make sure your tuner is Cobb certified.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#20 Old 08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

twitchy is an unknown
my tuner cobb certified ? i taught i did it myself? so from what im reading get the Ap and intake simple mods big difference? is it simple to use? ive never done modding before but i do understand cars and how they work.
#21 Old 08-23-2011, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The OTS tunes are quite lackluster. And I don't recommend long term use.

Let's see an +'08 that gains anywhere near that... I've give you $20 Paypal.
COBB Stage 1 tune with SF. Would you like me to PM you my Paypal account info???!Laugh!

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise

Last edited by sicc_soul; 08-23-2011 at 07:03 PM.
#22 Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
my tuner cobb certified ? i taught i did it myself? so from what im reading get the Ap and intake simple mods big difference? is it simple to use? ive never done modding before but i do understand cars and how they work.
Its all very simple, there's even a video or 2 on youtube showing how to install an intake. When he said Cobb certified, I think he just ment buy it from Cobb and/or get the map(s) from them. The maps are already preloaded on the AP and there are additional ones you can download from the Cobb website (Cobb does all the "tuning" you just plug it into your car and download) And yes there is a very noticeable difference, just keep in mind that you being in CA only have 91 octane available so when you look at Cobbs performance numbers or maps, look at the ACN 91 number/maps (Arizona, California, Nevada maps)

#23 Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Cobb certified means that if you use a tuner make sure that they are certified by Cobb Tuning on how to using there software, meaning they are trained by Cobb on how to use the Protune Software...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Yeah, you can do it yourself. But, if you go to a tuner or tune shop. Make sure they guy that does your tune (tuner) is Cobb certified. If and when you want a protuned map. Because most of the Cobb maps won't support custom work. Which will result in you needing a protuned map or you could attempt to use the CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT > Tune > Self-Tuning feature.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#25 Old 08-23-2011, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
.....I still want my $20 from brfatal