Couple questions. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

twitchy is an unknown
Couple questions.

New the tuning/subaru world. Not planning on doing anything crazy to my car but a couple bolt ons etc.

Wanting to get an intake, exhaust etc. Ive been reading that if i do put those parts on i need to tune em? true?

So if i put those parts on im not planning on going to a tuner, just get the AP and do it my self, Im just wondering what would people recommend and what would they go with.

2011 WRX HB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yes you will need a tune if you modify the car. You could probably get away with driving it for a little while, but I don't recommend it. Also no intake they are a waste at your power levels. Just do the tune and exhaust at the same time. In your case the AP would be a good choice since your not going to do anything crazy. You can always get a protune later on if you want.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
If you are doing an OTS map and not pro-tuning or going stage3-4-5, I would stick to a drop-in filter, if you really wanna drop the 2-300$ then make sure you get something that has a pre-defined map. Cold air frees up some upper end horsepower because the intake is so restricted on the newer gen WRX's but were talking probably 5ish hp on a stage 2 car. A downpipe without a tune might net you a boost spike which may throw the car into knock correction or give you a funky boost curve.
If you are doing AP, I would run drop-in filter, 3" divorced dp, stage 2 tune and you should be good to go.
#4 Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Yes on intake for '11 WRX (with tune). Intakes for older WRX's can be pointless, but for the 08+ different story. I see you live in Cali so you're stuck with 91 ocatane like myself, but COBB's stage 1 with intake will give you about 30hp, at crank ofcourse but still a definite improvement over stock.

Have to be young and stupid to be old and wise
#5 Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

twitchy is an unknown
With a drop in filter do i need a tune? what kind of numbers would i be looking at?
#6 Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

twitchy is an unknown
and with the cobb ap is it simple to use? plug and play? just set it to a map and i notice night and day performance?
#7 Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
drop in filter wouldn't do much by itself. It's more about getting quick spool and letting the turbo work with as little backpressure as possible. You really need a tune on these cars to see much of anything. The AP's are pretty simple to use.

**as a side note, the reason you need a tune with a CAI, is because the tube is shaped completely different and the air hits the MAF completely different causing different voltage readings, the drop in wouldn't require a tune**
#8 Old 08-12-2011, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Cant speak for the drop in, but if its like anything else with the WRX you'll probaly need a tune (even Perrins intake needs a tune). COBB's AP is simple and user friendly. 30hp increase defanitley noticeable, plus an intake and COBB AP are very easy to install/uninstall for when you take your car into the dealership (20 min labor). Main thing on here is that alot of people dont realize that us from CA/AZ/NV are limited to 91 octane and alot of OTS maps are designed for 93

#9 Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicc_soul View Post
Yes on intake for '11 WRX (with tune). Intakes for older WRX's can be pointless, but for the 08+ different story.
Might I ask how that is? Other than the intake manifold itself the setup is pretty much the same.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Might I ask how that is? Other than the intake manifold itself the setup is pretty much the same.
Show me a stage 1 with intake setup for 02-07 WRX that gives 30hp, because thats what you get with an 08+ (on 91 octane mind you)

#11 Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Show me a stage 1 with intake setup for 02-07 WRX that gives 30hp, because thats what you get with an 08+ (on 91 octane mind you)
Show me a 08+ that does...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 08-12-2011, 06:46 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
It's a completely different airbox. It's very similar to the LGT's setup. Intakes on the 08+ do help morso than the earlier WRX's. Cobb also has a OTS map for the AEM CAI's for the 08+'s.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#13 Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
and with the cobb ap is it simple to use? plug and play? just set it to a map and i notice night and day performance?
The OTS tunes are quite lackluster. And I don't recommend long term use.

Quote:

Let's see an +'08 that gains anywhere near that... I've give you $20 Paypal.
#14 Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

sicc_soul is an unknown
Quote:
Show me a 08+ that does...
Stage 1 Cobb with SF 91ACN octane: 11.7% HP increase (31 HP)
....contacted COBB, without intake its about a 6% increase (91 octane)

#15 Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

The fact that both cams have AVCS, larger turbo, better flowing heads have nothing to do with the fact that an 08 will make more power at stg than earlier models..

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 08-13-2011 at 05:07 AM.