Cold air intakes - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Prouse is an unknown
Garage
Cold air intakes

I was looking into purchasing a cold air intake for my 09 wrx 265. Any one have some suggestions? So far i have been looking at a Weapon-R or a Perrin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-04-2011, 12:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Both are total junk.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-04-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Prouse is an unknown
Garage
What would you suggest?
post #4 of 18 Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
K&N

Subaru Wrx Cold Air Intake at Auto Parts Warehouse

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prouse
What would you suggest?
Reading the FAQ's/Stickies..........

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #6 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
I would go for Cobb or SPT
post #7 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

slvr04wrx is an unknown
+1 for cobb
post #8 of 18 Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I've never understood why anyone would want a hot-air intake. Is the sound really worth the performance you sacrifice ?
post #9 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Agreed^

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
post #10 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 03:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Is there really that much performance lost? Yes, Ive herd of people losing a lot of power with cheap $30 intakes or intakes not made specifically for Subaru, but you get what you pay for...or if you dont do your research...
post #11 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
It's pretty simple. The lower your intake air temp, the more power your engine makes. Drawing air in from under the hood right above hot manifolds and the UP is going to be substantially hotter than the route the stock set-up uses, drawing air from under the hood, through the fender and panel filter.

Yes, of course the turbo is heating up that intake charge, but if it starts out cooler, your ahead of the game. A larger TMIC or FMIC can make up for that. One other solution is to extend the CAI with 3' ducting and put the cone filter down in the bumper and use your fog light opening as an intake duct, but you sacrifice your light to do it, and the filter will get filthy fast.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ridge10 is an unknown
Garage
Well I guess if you take it to a track or whatnot its a totally different thought process since all I do is have grove roads to drift around in and no professional tracks or dynos. My cobb sounds better and looks cooler and just makes me feel better lol so it works for me.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-06-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge10 View Post
My cobb sounds better and looks cooler and just makes me feel better lol so it works for me.
That's cool, I get that !
post #14 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
It's pretty simple. The lower your intake air temp, the more power your engine makes. Drawing air in from under the hood right above hot manifolds and the UP is going to be substantially hotter than the route the stock set-up uses, drawing air from under the hood, through the fender and panel filter.
Not to mention the IAT sensor is located in the MAF. This temp reading affects timing,boost and fueling compensation tables.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #15 of 18 Old 03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Ron, you're back !!

The SPT one has been proven to restrict and be a POS as well. At least on my buddies' 05 Baja

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement