Is a Cold Air Intake a good first mod? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-09-2011, 09:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Trying calling them and ask them directly. Tim would be more than willing to answer your question better than any of us. He is a pretty cool guy and friendly also.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunke002 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, makes sense. Could you jst answer my last question about the tune with the cold air? Would that work? Around how much would that cost do you think? And if I just walk into Surgeline without much idea of what I want, would they be able to get me going?
It would work and is the best idea as you need a tune to run the CAI properly and safely.yes you can walk in knowing nothing and they can get you where you want to be.as far as cost the tune will be between $300-$400 as you know and then just add the cost of witch ever CAI you choose witch they can help you with as well
#18 Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

ckunke002 is an unknown
Last questions, what gains will I be able to see from the tune and from the intake? And do I need an AccessPort or is it all without it?
#19 Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Depending on which intake you get, what boost level, the temperature outside, elevation, timing, etc., etc. Its very hard to even guess what gains could be seen honestly. Again the shop should be able to answer that as they see it more specific from them to begin with.

As far as more power and better gas mileage going together, yes it can happen. Basic principle of more power less work for the engine which can get you better MPGs if you have some self discipline. At my power levels in town I have been able to average about 22MPG, and I still get in it once and awhile. Now I can also go as low as about 15 MPG on the same route if I dont want to obey certain rules of the road.

Keith, Dom (Maxwell Power/DTRacing) would be great for an E-Tune. I wouldnt recommend the OP drive there as its no where near him. But again, Dom is great guy also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Keith, Dom (Maxwell Power/DTRacing) would be great for an E-Tune. I wouldnt recommend the OP drive there as its no where near him. But again, Dom is great guy also.
I guess I should have added that Dom could write him a good base map until he gets to a tuner, should it take him sometime to set up an appointment else where.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 07-10-2011, 05:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I am sorry if that came off wrong Keith, Im sure you knew that, it was more of a heads-up to the OP. But you are very correct in that Dom could give him a great base map to get around safe for awhile.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

ckunke002 is an unknown
I have no idea what you guys are even talking about lol. Who are Keith and Dom? What are E-Tunes?
#23 Old 07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
I am sorry if that came off wrong Keith, Im sure you knew that, it was more of a heads-up to the OP. But you are very correct in that Dom could give him a great base map to get around safe for awhile.
Bah you're fine bud. I need to work on memory skills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckunke002
I have no idea what you guys are even talking about lol. Who are Keith and Dom? What are E-Tunes?
We are talking about you getting a tune for your car my good man.
An E-tune is a tune you get from the internet, usually from a good tuner, like Dom. You request a tune for your car, you tell him what mods you have and he writes you a base map which you flash to your cars ECU. From there you can either drive to a near by tuner to get it fine tuned, or you can continue to get tuning from Dom via email. That requires you to have a few extra things like a Wide Band O2 sensor and a laptop to run logs. That is all the complicated stuff which I can explain in better detail later.

Oh i'm Keith a member on here that, well honestly i'm just a cool dude...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#24 Old 07-10-2011, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
To be honest I would ditch the CAI for now and go with a down pipe and a stage 2 tune it will make your butt dyno a lot happier then the CAI will.seeing as a tune isn't cheap I would want the most gains out of my first tune as possible.If it's in your budget go with the DP,CAI and tune it will keep a smile on your face for a good while. I personally got my SRI almost as my last mod as the stock box is good for quit a bit of power. I even ran my AVO 380 turbo off the stock box for quit awhile.