Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Is a Cold Air Intake a good first mod? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/cold-air-intake-good-first-mod-31020/)

ckunke002 07-09-2011 08:52 PM

Is a Cold Air Intake a good first mod?

I have an 09 WRX hatchback and just now am starting to make money and can afford to throw in aftermarket parts. One of my friends said cold-air intakes can increase gas mileage, but then another person told me that you have to pay for a tune after getting it which costs alot.

My question is whether or not it's a good mod, how much money I will be looking to have it correctly installed or tuned, and if it's not a good starting point where should I spend my money instead. Thanks!:sneaky:

newtothegame 07-09-2011 08:55 PM

Best thing for both power and MPG is a tune, be it opensource, a Cobb AP or just a straight go to a local tuner and have them tune it. Start researching and reading more before jumping head first into modding, it will pay off in the end.

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:03 PM

If I just go to a tuner shop they'll know what I mean if I say I just want a tune for better gas mileage and more power? Or do I need to be ready with some tune name for them? and around how much would this run me? Would it require other aftermarket parts?

psinuse 07-09-2011 09:08 PM

For a basic tune it doesn't require any parts other than the car. Sometimes they may say to use a different air filter or something of that nature. Talk to a tuner first and they will guide you as to what will work best with what you want. Wanting better MPG, just keep your foot out of it.

wrx1456 07-09-2011 09:13 PM

[quote=ckunke002;263993]If I just go to a tuner shop they'll know what I mean if I say I just want a tune for better gas mileage and more power? Or do I need to be ready with some tune name for them? and around how much would this run me? Would it require other aftermarket parts?[/quote]

Im new to this also, but "better gas mileage and more power"? Do those two go together? That just like saying government intelligence.

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:17 PM

Hahaha well the first guy mentioned that the "best thing for both mpg and power is a tune". I wouldn't imagine it would be possible either. So I just learned that my local tuner has available OS and Cobb Protunes. They are both 400 dollars each. Which is better? What do they offer differently? If I wanted a cold air intake, could it be thrown into the mix?

black beast2 07-09-2011 09:19 PM

I see your from clackamas,I'm out in estacada not far from you.you are lucky to have two of the best tuners close to you.I would recommend calling rallitek or surgeline and talk to them about your needs.both companies will be more then happy to help you and are very good at what they do.Surgeline has arguably one of the best tuners in the game "tim baley" he can work magic on your subie.

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info man! You're info says your in gresham, you don't by any chance to to MHCC do you? I see tons of guys with wrxs and sti's there, and they all have them modded and I feel left out hahaha. Do you have any experience with PRE, Performance race engineering? A kid in gresham told me a while back that they were the best around, and I'm seeing the 400$ tune on their website.

black beast2 07-09-2011 09:26 PM

[quote=ckunke002;263998]Hahaha well the first guy mentioned that the "best thing for both mpg and power is a tune". I wouldn't imagine it would be possible either. So I just learned that my local tuner has available OS and Cobb Protunes. They are both 400 dollars each. Which is better? What do they offer differently? If I wanted a cold air intake, could it be thrown into the mix?[/quote]

If you are not gonna be changing maps a lot just go with the os and save some cash,if you want to have a way to monitor your car and switch between maps like from pump gas to E85 and don't want to carry a big laptop and cable around go with the AP.

psinuse 07-09-2011 09:31 PM

*cough [URL="http://www.getadomtune.com/"]click here[/URL] cough*

black beast2 07-09-2011 09:35 PM

[quote=ckunke002;264001]Thanks for the info man! You're info says your in gresham, you don't by any chance to to MHCC do you? I see tons of guys with wrxs and sti's there, and they all have them modded and I feel left out hahaha. Do you have any experience with PRE, Performance race engineering? A kid in gresham told me a while back that they were the best around, and I'm seeing the 400$ tune on their website.[/quote]

Well I do have experience with PRE I actually went there when I first wanted to mod my car,they acted like I was an a hole and didn't want my money so needless to say I went elsewhere and glad I did.I have also heard of more then one blown motor from dangerous tunes from them because they just try to get the most out of the car instead of being safe.In the end it's your choice but I personally use rallitek for my parts and maintenance and surgeline for my tunes.surgeline also sells parts and has mechanics as well if you want to stick to one place.

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:35 PM

Black Beast, isn't the OS from another company than Cobb, and didn't you just recommend I go to surgeline, which is Cobb?

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:42 PM

And if I get a tune, could I get a cold air intake with it? Would I see good benefits or no?

black beast2 07-09-2011 09:43 PM

[quote=ckunke002;264006]Black Beast, isn't the OS from another company than Cobb, and didn't you just recommend I go to surgeline, which is Cobb?[/quote]

You know what I'm not sure if they do open source tuning any more.they are a Cobb facility but I know when tim ran pdx tuning they did os tunes and now pdx is surgeline and Im pretty sure it's not Cobb owned their just affiliated with Cobb if that makes sence.

ckunke002 07-09-2011 09:49 PM

Yeah I know what you mean, makes sense. Could you jst answer my last question about the tune with the cold air? Would that work? Around how much would that cost do you think? And if I just walk into Surgeline without much idea of what I want, would they be able to get me going?