coil packs - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jakewest209 is an unknown
coil packs

ok i'm changing my plugs today, and i was wondering if there is any way to check or clean the coil packs? i have some MAF sensor cleaner, would that clean off any contact surfaces? it was just an idea i had, and i figure if i'm already in there i might as well clean what i can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Clute is an unknown
Cleaning the coil pack terminals ended up only taking five minutes of my time. I removed the plug wires from the coil packs, cleaned the terminals and plug wires with a wire brush, contact cleaner, and applied a good amount of di-electric grease.

The results were phenomenal as my car accelerates much more smoothly, no longer sludging along when in second or third gear. The difference in my 2001 SE was simply amazing.

Now for the guide:

Tools & Materials Required
Electronic Contact Cleaner
Metal Brushes
Di-Electric Grease

Step One - Removing Plug Wires
Remove the plug wires from the coil packs by firmly and slowly lifting the wire plug off of each terminal. If your coil packs are not labled with the correct wire for each terminal, be sure to write down the order they are installed in. * I would post this image, but I am limited to 5 images for this post *
Step One - Removing Plug Wires
Remove the plug wires from the coil packs by firmly and slowly lifting the wire plug off of each terminal. If your coil packs are not labled with the correct wire for each terminal, be sure to write down the order they are installed in. * I would post this image, but I am limited to 5 images for this post *

Step Two - Dirty Coil Pack Terminals Exposed

You can now see how dirty three of the terminals were. You can clearly see rust and oxidation built up on the terminals.

Step Three - Cleaning the Terminals

I cleaned each terminal with a wire brush, carefully removing layers and layers of corrosion.

Step Four - Spraying the Terminals

I gave each terminal lead a few good shots of contact cleaner. Remember to give the contact cleaner time to evaporate before moving on.

Step Five - Application of Di-Electric Grease

Each terminal received a generous amount of di-electric grease to prevent moisture from corroding the terminals in the future. The grease also ensures an excellent electrical connection between the terminals and the plug wires.

Step Six - Reconnecting the Plug Wires

I have reconnected the plug wires to the coil packs by pressing down on the plug wires until they have firmly connected. Be sure that no wire is loose.
Performance Parts Online
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alex Saenz is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clute View Post
Step Five - Application of Di-Electric Grease

Each terminal received a generous amount of di-electric grease to prevent moisture from corroding the terminals in the future. The grease also ensures an excellent electrical connection between the terminals and the plug wires.

I know this is an old thread and I just realized that this guy had only posted 1 time and never posted again but I do want to point out that this is NOT correct. (I found out the hard way)

Dielectric grease should NEVER be applied directly to the terminals, as it is an insulator NOT a conductor.

I unfortunately found this "how-to" completed the instructions and my car then ran like crap and was miss-firing worse than ever. To remove the dielectric grease from the metal connectors you must use a non-chlorinated brake cleaner. In my case I used the grease liberally (yes I know, I should have done more research) so it took a while to get rid of all the crap from the coil packs and connectors.

Basically, if you follow these steps you will most likely come out with a horrendous miss-fire, and if you happen NOT to have a bad miss-fire you will cause excess heat caused by all the extra insulation which could burn out your wires and or your coil packs.

Hopefully no one else will do what I did
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2014, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alex Saenz is an unknown
By the way... here is what I used to clean the grease with: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=219615_0_0_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement