The cobbacess port stage 2 comes with a catback exhaust, Not a Turboback Exhaust - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

max3 is an unknown
The cobbacess port stage 2 comes with a catback exhaust, Not a Turboback Exhaust

I want to get the stage 2 cobb accessport kit, but it comes with the catback exhaust.
Could i just buy the cobb accessport for 595 , and then the turboback exhaust for 1225 with the downpipe to make it stage 2?

Thanks

Whats the most amount of hp a 04-05 wrx sti has reached with a stock engine block? I know the stock engine can only hold up to 400 hp without blowing. Is that 400 hp at the wheels right? or is it at the crank?

How can you get around 400 hp at the wheels? I was thinking with the stage 2 Cobb accessport, turboback exhaust, light weight pulley, but that would only make it around 350 hp. What else would you add to reach the 400 mark in hp?

The cobb website says the stage 2 kit gains 17 hp. So If i do the math, 300 hp plus 17 hp equals 317 hp. Why does the website then say it can reach up to 350 hp. This is at the wheels right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Nope, Cobb rates everything at the crank. So, if cobb says 350 hp...then they mean 350 crank. The engine can hold up to about 330-350ish wheel hp depending on which dyno you use and how abusive you are to it. 350 crank would only be about 245 wheel. 475 crank/330ish wheel or 500 crank/350 wheel would be where your car would be pushing the stock pistons to their threshold limit. I'm basing this all off a 30% loss to the wheels for my wheel horsepower numbers. Because its close to 30% on a mustang dyno. So, if you want 400 wheel. You're going to have to drop some serious coin to do it. GT35R or a Dom 3.0-4.0 turbo and all the supporting mods. Just most of the time the spool is so late in the rpm range it's going to have a dead spot until the spool kicks in hard.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not gonna get into the drivetrain loss isn't a fixed % debate here (I say it isn't). Id feel fine running 350-375 whp, which I would peg right around 425-450 crank. After that you'd be pushing more boost than those pistons can bear for too long.

-Chris
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Its not a fixed percentage....which i said its close to 30%. But, It is more of the torque and how you drive it anyways. That's going to eat up the pistons. Thermal loading and barametric pressures in the cylinders with 330-350 wtq range will end up breaking the aluminum silcia pistons that are OEM in our engines.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
If you have to ask what's involved in getting a car to 400 whp beyond exhaust and tune, then you shouldn't be trying to achieve that goal.

Personally, I would have a hard time taking a stock EJ257 over +/- 380 whp. I'm at 356 and already run forged pistons.