Subaru WRX Forum banner

cobb vs. open source tunes

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  craighoog 
#1 ·
goin stage 2 tune soon (have a cobb v2 ap) and was wondering what the difference was between the cobb maps vs. the open source tunes. pretty sure the tuners i use do both. oh and im not talkin ots maps im talkin custom dyno tunes...

#7 ·
I'm thinking your bank account will notice too.

Here's the thing...The op sounds like he isn't a mech,he's a computer guy. If this is the case he will get more instant gratification with the AP and it gives him something to play with thus enhancing the enjoyment of his ride. This is good. For him. Myself,the exact opposite. I can barely turn on a light switch! That's why I frequently rely on my brother(my chief science officer or CSO) for the electrical and computer stuff. He has more degrees in electrical engineering than a thermometer!

I chose the open source path because I turn wrenches,pound on stuff and swear a lot. Once in the Army I won a bet that I could remove and install a new hydro-vac in a deuce-and-a-half blind folded!:eek: That includes flair nuts in copper lines and bleeding the system using a pressurized bleeder tank.:D I won a months pay on that one;)

Anyway,I bolt things on,get a tune. I'll do this once more then I'll start saving for my inevitable spun bearing.:crying:So for me a Cobb AP wouldn't be practical. I might get one if I found one used for cheap just to monitor stuff.

I also believe every engine is like a snowflake. A good tuner will adjust things on the fly for your specific engine. Like for me, I'm using 91 oct and I'm catless. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Cobb has a tune for that.

I hope I gave you food for thought. Have fun!:)

#8 ·
As the driver, you likely won't notice other than:
1. Logging with the AccessPort in realtime is crap data, but their logging to memory is good
2. Logging with RomRaider involves live data, a laptop, custom dashboards and other nerdy stuff

For the tuner, many stick with Cobb for some reason, but I prefer OpenSource every time.
More tables, easier for me to track down where values are being calculated, etc.

Either way, a pro tune is a pro tune and once it's done they both write to same standard rom format.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.