Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb Tuning ECU Question

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  IBAUCLAPlaya 
#1 ·
Hey guys I was just looking at the Cobb Tuning AccessECU

AccessECU

And it definitely looks like something I want to get, especially because it's cheaper than I thought it would be.

However, here's my question...
Though I want to be fast, I probably won't be the type going to the track every week, tuning for that extra .1. No offense to anyone who does, it's a great thing to do, but I've always been into the show level of things as well, so I'll be mixing my racing and showing all together.

I was looking at the ECU, and obviously they've got two stages, I'd be running stage 2, but I also see the different maps, as there are different mods done to the car. My question is, if I start with Stage 2 and put something else on the car that allows me to run a different map for a huge jump in power, is it really all that hard to tune it?

I'm a total 100% n00b at this so please don't make fun of me lol, but I see the potential for huge power gains and I just want to make sure I can access them correctly.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
What that is: AcessECU

You send in your ECU(your car will be down for a few days) They reflash your ECU per your mods listed.

You can not change anything about the ECU after they do that.

If you want to change to a different map because you add more mods go with Acessport. You'll still need your ECU reflashed, but you can change your maps for added mods

#3 ·
a handful of guys around here like it...no big complaints from them. some of us do not like it. we like the idea of fine tuning the ECU and not running pre-set maps. each person has their own idea of what the want from their car. in the world of engine management, it's to each their own.

personally, i like the UTEC. it's on my wishlist.

#7 ·
Exactly Cosmo

I feel we can give our own input on why we like/dislike an certian part, but don't try to persuade a person into something like engine management

Enginel managment is a huge part of our mods. I feel its something the person who is buying need to know what they are going to get themselves into.....get some feedback on who likes it or dislikes it, whats good/bad about it. Other people that are using the product and situations they run into.

#11 ·
People come in here asking which engine management they should use. We are giving our opinions and trying to tell them why. They come here to ask questions to get our feedback because they don't know what they want. Plus people should search, there must be 20 threads discussing diffrent engine management types and about 15 of them have the UTEC.

#12 ·
You mean like when someone asks "what should my first mod be??" and 10 people reply by simply saying "UTEC!!!!!"
I don't feel we are wrong telling people the first mod should be "engine mangement"........not ness. Utec in general, but some sort of engine management.

If a person is going to mod, they need something to correct the tuning and not rely on the stock ECU

#13 ·
They aren't saying that giving engine management as the first mod is bad, what they are saying is that saying UTEC is what you need, and not adding why or for what reason is bad. If you were to ask somebody what kind of exhaust to get and they just said, Perrin, would that satisfy your question enough to give you a knowledgeable idea as to what to do?

#14 ·
Personally, I have the Accessport and I am running stg 2 map. I have had it for a month now and I love it. The power is smooth, I hit my boost levels, and I have had no problems with it. I choose the aceport because I felt it was relatively safe and did not require tuning which I do not know how to do. I also like the fact that it still lets the ecu control some things.

I plan to eventually go with their stage 3 package or equivalent. The map will be provided, the power is right were I want to be. So if you know what you want to do it can be a great choice. Also do not forget you will eventually be able to tweak your own maps with the release of Access Tuner. Oh and the guys @ COBB are very helpful also. My .02

#16 ·
From what it looks like (I don't have any proof so don't flame me) just from the web site reading , the accesstuner (it's not out yet) looks easier to use for the nubie (me) im looking into it, im not ready to seriosly damage my daily driver by messing something up on a UTEC. I do want more control then a flashed ecu though, especially living at 6200 ft, any ecu flash wouldnt be completely perfect for me. therefore im looking forward to hearing about the accesstuner

#17 ·
If the AccessTuner gives you the tuning ability, the ability to screw something up will always be there. The UTEC has proven performance and comes with base maps you can tune off of. Cobb has limited maps for just turboback, then right up to vf30 w/ all supporting. Just my .02 though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.