cobb stage 1-newbie questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

battistigsx is an unknown
cobb stage 1-newbie questions

i have an 03 wrx with a cob stage 1, perrin catless uppipe, 3 inch catback system, turbo xs BOV (still vented to atmosphere, big nono but i havent had much time to fix that)just basic upgrades. ive noticed my car doesnt have quite the pull it had a few weeks ago, i solved a boost leak issue and regained some power but it still seems off. the car had a cobb stage 1 reflash from the previous owner so i do not have the AP. it does officially need a clutch so im sure thats causing some of the loss in power im feeling. i read on another post that disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake can reset the ecu...what happens to my cobb reflash if i disconnect the battery? im new to the whole idea of tuning via ecus so im a little lost on this. just as a basic rule of thumb i always disconnect my battery before working on the car, will this reset my ecu and set my map back to stock? also, on the subject of cobb, i want to go to stage 2 in a few months. i know ill need a downpipe and a midpipe first, my question is should i get a wideband setup and an upgraded bcs before i get ready to reflash? i get mixed answers on this from people around my hometown and i want this done right. any info would be great, thanks for all the help so far, this forum is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You won't need the wideband if you're just going cobb stage II. The 3-port ebcs is a "it's up to you" mod. I say go for it, but then you'll need a re-tune to account for wastegate duty cycles (aka you'll overboost like mad if you just slap it on). I'm actually putting a grimmspeed 3-port on my car on Friday along with my DP and wideband, BUT I'm going a different route with tuning which requires an eye on my afr's.

The benefits on the 3-port are worth the price and extra tune. If you don't want to/can't tune, then don't get it because it will be BAD. If you do get it, you'll see a bit quicker spool, and much better boost control. The big difference is you can eliminate the overboosting issue a lot of stage II setups see when you floor it in fifth gear under 3k rpms.

To the first question, no the ecu won't lose the map as long as it's been reflashed and not running in real-time (which I'm pretty sure you have to have the ap hooked up to run).

-Chris
post #3 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thank you, that clears alot up. how big are the gains from stage 1 to stage 2? ive seen the numbers on it but im lookin more for how much stronger does it feel, what kind of things should i expect to be different after the flash..stuff like that. Some people tell me the car should be in the low 12's after stage 2, does that sound right? thanks again for the great post!
post #4 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok, last question about cobb and resets. my car goes to the dealer tomorrow for the recall to have the fuel line replaced. ive read a few other posts where people are saying their ecu's went back to stock after the repair. is that correct?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Doubt you'll see low 12s... from what I hear a stage 2 pre 08 wrx feels like a stock 09 wrx... If that's the case low 13s is possible, but I would say you could hit high 12s.

The ecu shouldn't get reset, but you could always be safe and just reflash just in case

-Chris
post #6 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Doubt you'll see low 12s... from what I hear a stage 2 pre 08 wrx feels like a stock 09 wrx... If that's the case low 13s is possible, but I would say you could hit high 12s.

The ecu shouldn't get reset, but you could always be safe and just reflash just in case

-Chris
post #7 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ill just hope for the best on this one, since i dont have the accessport to reflash if i lose the map. as far as the power, the person i bought my car from is actually a friend of mine (who unfortunatly is the second owner and not the one who did the cobb tuning), i bought his 03 when he bought his 2010 wrx. mine actually pulls away from his 2010 now so im sure ill be more than happy with timeslips after a stage 2 flash. what does a stock 09-10 wrx pull in terms of 1/4mile times?
post #8 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry for the above double post... the droid doesn't like these forums sometimes.

Stock 09 can run 13.4 or so... modded stock turbos see low 12s and are getting close to 11s.

You def. Have more that an average stage 2 so id expect you to be able to pull on him... he goes stage 2 though and you're done lol.

-Chris
post #9 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sorry for the above double post... the droid doesn't like these forums sometimes.

Stock 09 can run 13.4 or so... modded stock turbos see low 12s and are getting close to 11s.

You def. Have more that an average stage 2 so id expect you to be able to pull on him... he goes stage 2 though and you're done lol.

-Chris
post #10 of 15 Old 04-07-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

cool, thanks for all the input. im learning to like these cars far more than the dsm's from my years past. way different but seems to be built way better and just as easy to build up. thanks again!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

i just read some interesting posts dealing with ecu resets and cobb tunes. apparently theres a way to reset the ecu by disconnecting the negative battery terminal, draining the stored charge via the brake pedal, reconnecting the battery and warming up the car to normal temp, putting it in third gear revved to about 2500-3000rpm and let out the clutch while holding the brake to create about 5lbs of boost. after holding this for about 5-10 seconds followed by some "spirited" driving they say it resets the ecu and also speeds up the learning process of the ecu and frees up some power. does this work? and if i did this with my current stage 1 setup will i lose my stage 1 map? this is important to me since i do not have the AP to reflash to stage 1 if i lose it.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
I don't think there is any mechanical way to reset the ECU. I have heard of what you are talking about (people usually call it the "Vishnu Reset") and I believe it is used to accelerate the ECUs learning process regarding timing. It is usually performed after a reset to get the car back to maximum HP which is probably why you thought it actually performed the reset.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #13 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

so in theory if i did this Vishnu Reset to my car, will it just make further adjustments to the cobb stage 1 map or would it delete the cobb map from the ecu? sorry, still learning the ecu game.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 07:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

What it does it quickly puts the ignition advance multiplier up to 16. The car will get there on it's own, just the Vishnu reset is a way to make it get there quickly. Drive for a few miles and it'll get there on it's own.

-Chris
post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

thanks