Cobb Ap/ Bov - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Cobb Ap/ Bov

Ok i had this problem befor i had the cobb. so i took the bov off and put it back to stock. but then I got the cobb so I put the bov back on and its still running really rich and when you take it to 4500-6000 rpm it will die when it gets back down to 1000. ( I only drove about 2 miles like that.) I thought that the cobb would take care of that problem. becuase it flashed my ecu. so i know im wrong but i want to know how to fix the problem. like when i get the car pro tuned for stage 2 could i have it tuned for the bov?? if anyone had the same problem or if someone can help that would be really cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Just leave the stock bpv on... You don't need a BOV unless you are pushing huge numbers... And if you want to have the sound of a BOV, just do the intake silencer delete..
#3 Old 10-07-2008, 10:46 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
How would the Cobb fix the problem with the BOV?

Look, the "problem" is because the car was not designed to waste perfectly good pressurized intake air on a PSHHHH sound. Cobb's maps are designed to utilize it just like the factory maps.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Well what would I have to do to keep the bov? there are tons of people out there with them on there wrx/sti. I just wounder how they did it. can anyone help??
#5 Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
They just get the BOV for the sound...
#6 Old 10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Well i wont lie I want it for the sound to. I think its cool. I have been reading all the forums and they all say its bad for the car unless you move the MAF after the bov. but i have not heard of anyone doing that. Is there anyone that has done it??
#7 Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Garage
First off, the vast majority of people you hear with those things on a Subaru just threw them on there without regard to how they make the car run. It's worth it to them I guess.

Now, if you want to move the MAF, that's possible. It's a custom job but not something particularly difficult. Of course you'll likely have to play around with the tune to account for all this. I've seen cars though where they move the MAF to AFTER the turbo which I question. It's easier for piping (usually on a lead to a FMIC) but the sensor wasn't designed for high pressure airflow monitoring.

#8 Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
^I don't know about for Subarus, but for Hondas, they make this thing that is a MAF/MAP sensor guard I guess. It supposedly protects it from the high airflow? Just thought I'd throw that out there. I honestly have no idea how it works, but almost every turbo'ed Honda has one.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#9 Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
^I don't know about for Subarus, but for Hondas, they make this thing that is a MAF/MAP sensor guard I guess. It supposedly protects it from the high airflow? Just thought I'd throw that out there. I honestly have no idea how it works, but almost every turbo'ed Honda has one.
Please, just stop. Stop answering technical questions about Subaru's. If you don't know the answer, don't post. Next thing ya know some mongo is going to buy a Missing Link and try to install it on his car. Honda's are MAP based fueling (speed density) and that particular device is used because the Honda's use a 1bar MAP sensor that is not scaled/able to reference boost. It is used for turbo kits. Subarus are MAF based and have a MAP sensor just for the purpose of referencing boost only, not for fueling.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#10 Old 10-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Garage
Well said.

Dumdum, can you comment on moving the MAF to after the turbo? Is it feasible to use the stock MAF sensor in that way?

#11 Old 10-08-2008, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb-king07 View Post
Well i wont lie I want it for the sound to. I think its cool. I have been reading all the forums and they all say its bad for the car unless you move the MAF after the bov. but i have not heard of anyone doing that. Is there anyone that has done it??
If you want the sound that bad do what the other guy said and get a sr intake. Sell the bov and buy a SPT intake. YOU WILL GET THE SOUNDS YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.

hear the turbo spooling-check
hear air rushing in-check
hear the "bov phhsss sound" - check

Trust me, if all you want is the sound you will not be dissapointed.

12.7 @ 109
#12 Old 10-08-2008, 05:33 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Well said.

Dumdum, can you comment on moving the MAF to after the turbo? Is it feasible to use the stock MAF sensor in that way?
It is, but you can't just put it there without alot of retuning.Plus it generally only works if you are running a FMIC.Can't do it with a TMIC.No room.The only theoretical place to put the MAF sensor on a TMIC setup would be between the IC and throttlebody.You can also use a Utec and run the "Speed Density" feature.You would keep the MAF in the stock position and for Openloop fueling the Utec would reference a MAP sensor.Alot of work and $$$ just for a kazoo.....

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#13 Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
LOL...a kazoo. Nice... !Laugh!

On a side note...love the new rep status dumdum. You've run out of room for green bars.
#14 Old 10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

tfsa is an unknown
If it's falling on it's face like that have your turbo up pipe looked at the cat inside falls apart and goes forward and blocks flow and come's apart and impacts the impeller. The cat is under warnty for 80,000 so it is a free fix from the dealer i speak from the pain of paying for and installing a new turbo only to find out about the cat after paying for the turbo job. So i have learned dealer dealer dealer and if you lose your turbo they fix that for free as well. AND GET THE STOCK BYPASS BACK ON ASAP AND DONT TELL THEM ABOUT IT GOOD LUCK
#15 Old 10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
Ya im going back to stock. It's not worth the money. Thanks for the help everyone