Cobb acessport map causeing 10.0 rich afrs under boost - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-26-2011, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subajet0509 is an unknown
Cobb acessport map causeing 10.0 rich afrs under boost

I have a 02 wrx, turbo back exhaust, cobb intake, big 16g turbo, turbo xs FMIC, GM bcs, Deatschwerks 565cc Cobb Spec Top-Feed injectors, 255lph pump and uploaded the Cobb FP 16g 93oct map from cobbs website onto my ecu with cobbs accessport tuner and for some reason as soon as i hit boost it flatlines my Wideband 10 rich and runs like shit, idle and crusing afr's are 14.7 to 15.1 and has no problems, looking for any advice the PILL was cut out when i got the car but i was told i only needed that with the stock BCS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Probably have a boost leak, if you're running rich only at boost you're probably losing air somewhere but the engine is still pumping fuel for all the air you're not getting.

If you run a log with the AP, see how your boost looks.

I would just check for boost leaks, pressurize the system and see if you can hear air hissing out from somewhere.

-Chris
#3 Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The GM BCS should be the 3 port set-up. So, you don't need the pill in the line for that set-up. Was it tuned before you switched the map? I mean, if it was pro-tuned. Then why would you switch it to a OTS map? I'd still believe you have a boost leak. I'm just asking questions to make sure we don't over look anything.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 03-28-2011, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

I got the car and it was only at 10psi boost but ran fine so i didnt think anything of it then about 2 weeks it had a bad exhaust leak so i replaced all the gaskets with grimmspeed ones and replaced the sensor in the afr gauge, thats when i seen the tune on it was garbage and looking further into it the car had the stock BCS in it but no pill and the wastegate was hooked up wrong, so i redid all the vacum lines and got the GMBCS and it ran at 15psi then but was still 10.0 rich on the wideband so thats when i got the cobb and the right size injectors for the cobb maps but still no change... the dealership was a bunch of dicks and couldnt even tell me the name of the guy who had the car so i was sol to ask him anything about it, and when i do the preasure test do i have to pull the pipeing off the intake and the inlet on the turbo, ### i tried just putting a pvc cap with a air valve and pumping air into the system with a compressor but it wouldnt hold anything at all
#5 Old 03-28-2011, 11:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you can't run a GMBCS with the OTS AP Maps, you need a pro-tune or an OS tune

Per the map notes on the Cobb website:
"Hardware Requirements: Forced Performance 16G turbo specifically,
STi or equivalent TMIC, Denso/STi pink fuel injectors, .052”
restrictor pill, & turbo-back exhaust system on an otherwise stock
vehicle. Results may vary. DO NOT USE THIS CALIBRATION IF YOU ARE
NOT USING THE EXACT PARTS SPECIFIED OR IF THE HARDWARE YOU ARE USING
IS NOT OPERATING AS SPECIFIED IN THIS DOCUMENTATION."

More Info:

"CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!! CRITICAL INFORMATION!!!
The vacuum lines for the factory boost control system contain a small brass
restrictor pill located in the short vacuum line coming off the turbo compressor
housing. The middle of this restrictor has a lengthwise hole precisely machined to a
certain specification so that it works with the factory wastegate actuator and the
wastegate duty cycle settings in the stock ECU. Since this map has been calibrated
for the 2002-2003 WRX MT and a Forced Performance FP16G turbo, we are going to
specify that the hole in the restrictor pill now measures at .052” +/- .001” (a #55
drill bit). If a restrictor pill with a smaller hole than .052” is used then the
turbo will over boost which can cause severe engine damage. If a restrictor pill with
a larger hole than .052” is used then the vehicle may not be able to hit its boost
targets. Please verify that the vacuum line coming off the turbo compressor housing
(prior to the T-fitting) contains a restrictor pill with a hole, measuring .052” +/-
.001”, machined in the center of pill. Please go to the bottom of this document for
further instructions and boost control system component and vacuum line plumbing
diagrams."

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 03-29-2011, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
That's kinda of what I was getting at Matt. I just wanted to hear his responce first. Yeah, you need a protune or OS tune to correct some of your issues. Let alone you might have a boost leak still.

Edit: you can get a Cobb protuned map or a go the OS tune by yourself or a tuner. But, I wouldn't OS yourself at this point unless you've messed around with it before. Because your set-up is kind of advanced at this point. You need to get the fuel trim corrected, change the wastegate duty cycles, and a whole lot more. The OTS map for the FP 16G is in the ball park, but dangerously out in left field and I mean in the bleachers.

Kirt
#7 Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

yea i was talking to the cobb tuner and he said id have to change that with the racetune software which i dont feel comfortable doing so ima get it tuned on the dyno next week hopefully, thanks for the input guys
#8 Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Let us know how it turns out. It sounds like it should be a fun car once it runs great.

Kirt