Cobb Accessport: Stage 1 or 2? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pizzazombie is an unknown
Cobb Accessport: Stage 1 or 2?

My '04 wrx is completely stock other than a k&n filter and an intake silencer delete. I've decided that my next step is going to be a Cobb accessport kit. I know that as of now I definitely need the stage one. But I figure that I'll eventually get to the point where I have so many modifications that I'll need a stage two. At least that's what I'm gathering from Cobb's website. But from what it looks like, the only difference between the two is the downpipe and the catback included in the stage two kit. So if the accessport itself is the same, why get a stage two? Can't I just get different maps and keep the same accessport from the first kit? It's the same thing in both kits, right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm new at all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-30-2011, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
there are lots of preloaded maps on the ap. i just hooked mine up a couple days ago and flashed to stage 2.and i love it.also there are lots of aftermarket ap maps that you can buy. theres even a setup that you can data log your car and email it to a tuner and they can send you a custom ap map to your specs.
#3 Old 04-30-2011, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sweet. Thanks for the help. I'm really looking forward to it. Just need the cash now.
#4 Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Yeah the only real difference is the downpipe. On the stock downpipe there is a stupid metal plate over half of the turbo exhaust outlet. (The wasegate side) Truth be told you could honestly just buy a downpipe and adapter flange and run the stock catback...if one were on a budget. The difference is huge power wise though. I drove my car around for a month or so when i was waiting to install my exhaust and from stock to stage 1 wasn't a huge difference but noticable. But after i put the turboback on and changed the map to stage 2, man its a whole different car. I have a buddy that drives a z06 and he was even impressed. either way you go just make sure you pick the right map for the fuel that's in your area. We have crappy 91 Oct up here in okla. Wish we had 93. Good luck!

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#5 Old 05-01-2011, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright, thanks. I'm definitely getting the stage one then. Oh, and what downpipe are you using? I'm thinking of a Perrin.
#6 Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

I bought a cheap set up that works fine for me. Its an m2 brand...or off brand that is... Paid 150 for full turboback shipped. I don't have to worry about rust here in ok and my wife gave me a 1100 budget so i had to maximize it lol. perrin is nice a friend of mine has mostly perrin on his car his perrin dp has a divorced wastegate. Not sure he needs it but w/e.

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 05-01-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling
#7 Old 05-01-2011, 08:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haha okay. Thanks for all the help.
#8 Old 05-08-2011, 03:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
I too had just a drop in k&n filter and stock exhaust for a bit. Then i picked up a used custom exhaust. All catless....down pipe all the way back. As well as a brand new injen upipe. I installed the exhaust and ran it for a while.....what a world of difference. Then just recently I got my ap hooked up and flashed to a stage 2. Car feels so much smoother. ANd it gets from 70-115 much quicker.

How fast can it go? Im curious how fast will a car w/ a basic stage 2 and exhaust upgrade go..
#9 Old 05-09-2011, 07:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Not to promote high speed driving...but the ap removes the speed limiter so i would imagine if you didn't have a headwind and a long enough straight road one would see the top of the high gear. Anyone know? I've never maxed my car out. I have too much to lose between two young kids and a job that watches my mvr like a hawk. I've actually been mildly curious also. Been thinking of going down to the Texas mile but i don't think i could hit it with even a mile straight.

Kevin.
#10 Old 05-09-2011, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
150'sh

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's kinda what i was thinking. I would love to get my car on a huge oval track and just open it all the way up. But Im sure afterwards i would just want more go fast parts ha ha.

Kevin.
#12 Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Search would net this:

Top Speed

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#13 Old 05-14-2011, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
So I took your advice guys and ordered Accessport before I install my DP so I get the best bang for my buck and was just wondering if I go stage 2 since I now have a DP, CB exhaust and Intake.?

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#14 Old 05-14-2011, 07:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah just flash to the stage 2 map that fits with whatever gas you have...91/93 Octane. Also i can't remember what year subaru stopped putting cats in the uppipe but if your car has one it would definitely be wise to put one on without a cat in there as they love to fail and take turbos right to the grave with them. I did my uppipe at the same time as the turboback...pretty big pita but worth the peace of mind for sure. Subaru engineers failed miserably putting a cat there...i will say do not go cheap on this part....i learned a very hard lesson, one full month of messing with it and a grimmspeed double thick gasket later i finally sealed a nasty little mani to uppipe leak. The flange on the cheap uppipe was nowhere near true flat
if i had it to do again i would have bought an invidia. Not a bad way to spend a hundred bucks. Especially since with the gasket i had to buy plus my crappy pipe i spent that already...doh!

Kevin.
#15 Old 05-15-2011, 08:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is a helpful contributing member
Yeah I hear the Uppipes are a PITA Ive been reading up on the install and from what I gathered getting the bolts off seem to be the most part of the time. Im trying to kill as many birds with one stone as possible so maybe I will grab a Uppipe b4 I do the DP. Then w the stage2,DP and Up I should really feel a difference.

Thanks Kevin ^

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.