cobb accessport major issues with dastek - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to rex2002 Send a message via Skype™ to rex2002
cobb accessport major issues with dastek

perks of buying a used car..ha ha please help. read the email i sent to both cobb and dastek

I bought a used 2002 wrx which I was told was stock. I put a cobb access port on the car,flashed and ran no problems. a year later(during the year I did flash to different stage maps with all supporting mods) I go to street tune on the cobb and it worked for about 3 weeks and the car hit the bag,turns over and dies everytime. we decided that it’s the ecu,that it needs to be replaced(or try to hard reset ). go to pull back the carpet where the ecu is at and find out the the previous owner put a old style piggyback dastek ecu. its two metal square shaped boxes,one larger than the other. that was a huge red flag,may be the reason why my car is dead now(but it also makes no sense that I could marry and flash the cobb while the dastek was hooked up). im trying to figure out how to unmarry this dastek from the ecu,can I just unsplice the piggyback,un marry the cobb and hard reset the ecu. this issue at hand here is that I was able to flash fine with the cobb access port to first stage 1,then to stage 2,then to stage 2 (street tune).I was even able to flash back to stock to try and rule out the custom stage 2 real time flash. still no luck with the car,turns over but dies every time. we have ruled out any other issues that may cause it to start then die(battery,starter,alternator,and even put in a brand new maf,and used other wrx mafs from a few friends of mines car to rule out the new maf was bad) all those items check out fine. I need to know what direction I need to go to get my car back on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Not sure what you're talking about "unmarry the Dastek ECU". Just take it off. The Dastek Unichip was what Cobb used before they had the AccessECU (ECUTEK) and TurboXS before the UTEC and will override your ECU, making whatever tune you put on from the AccessPort useless. I'm not sure why unsplicing it isn't working.
#3 Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful rex2002 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i want to take the dastek off the car,but just like cobb if you want to bring back to stock u need to unmarry the cobb,so i was asking if that was the same for the dastek. so is the route i need to go: just un splice the dastek and reflash the cobb stage 2 back on there and hope it fixes the issue. or should i do a hard reset (after un marring the cobb/un splice dastek) then flash back to the cobb stage 2
#4 Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Pull the dastek off, I don't think it operates like the cobb(it doesn't flash a map on the ecu), once its off you shouldn't have any issues if the problem was the dastek.
#5 Old 07-08-2012, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
Pull the dastek off, I don't think it operates like the cobb(it doesn't flash a map on the ecu), once its off you shouldn't have any issues if the problem was the dastek.
i sure thats the route im going to try 1st. it looks like the splice job that was done was a shoty job and they just etaped it in.
#6 Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

keep us posted
#7 Old 07-10-2012, 12:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

update: so far ive uninstalled the cobb ap,hard reset the ecu and still nothing.
now next part is to unsplice the piggy back dastek and hope it fixes the problem,im about 90% sure that the ecu is toast
#8 Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

im lost as of right now.. it appears they messed with the shielding braids on the ecu. on the wire diagram it shows that the shielding braids are plugged into the ecu plugs,but it looks like there are other wires in its spot and the shielding braids have been splice back and wired into something else. is there anyone willing to pull back there carpet and take some close up pics of the ecu with wires all plugged up this is the link i found that im using to help me re wire. got some of the issues fixed but now running into issues https://www.msu.edu/~briggsj7/ecu.html
#9 Old 07-12-2012, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

got it all wired back up to the best i can. she starts but has high idle. but the car is also back to factory ecu settings.going to install the cobb back on and reflash to the stage 2 map that i had on there for a while b/4 i got the car street tuned. trying to rule out everything i can to make sure this doesnt happen again.
#10 Old 07-18-2012, 03:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

car is now put all back together,got her on the stage 2 street tune. she holds strong peaks at 17.9 lbs,still throwing misfire codes on cylinder 1&2 but my tuner said he should be able to take care of that,but my main deal was to get her all back together in one piece and back on the road again.
#11 Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

good to hear that, hope you get the misfires taken care of.