Cobb Access Port and Warranty Issues - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 05-25-2012, 11:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast2 View Post
I would go to court over a couple hundred dollars if I knowim wright. Depends on the situation, if I feel it's a matter of prince able then he'll yeah see your ass in court. Everybody knows if you win the case you also get all the court and associated fees. As far as warranty claims it just depends on the people you deal with, i got my first clutch replaced at stage 2 alot of people get denied clutches when still stock because of the good ole abuse card.
As the plaintiff the burden of proof would fall on you to prove that neither the part nor your driving habits contributed to the problem, which again, in most cases is a toughie.

I got my 1st clutch replaced too under the 36k wear item warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 05-29-2012, 04:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Snowboarder2587 is an unknown
I just spoke with a guy in the service department and he also recently purchased a new wrx also. He is putting the Cobb AP on his as well. He said that if there is an issue and the dealership denies the warranty claim to call subaru. As long as your car is still under warranty subaru will try to cover it because they are a small(er) company and need/want satisfied cutomers. He said that he has seen some terribly abused cars and subaru told the dealership to fix them under the warranty. I think I'll be getting my AP in August!!
#18 Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

yelljack is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder2587 View Post
I just spoke with a guy in the service department and he also recently purchased a new wrx also. He is putting the Cobb AP on his as well. He said that if there is an issue and the dealership denies the warranty claim to call subaru. As long as your car is still under warranty subaru will try to cover it because they are a small(er) company and need/want satisfied cutomers. He said that he has seen some terribly abused cars and subaru told the dealership to fix them under the warranty. I think I'll be getting my AP in August!!
From my understanding it all has to do with the District Service Manager, in some areas they are more strict as far as aftermarket parts go. Talk to your local service folks.

Eric
#19 Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
This is false. Being under the warranty period does not mean absolutely coverage. A lot of times it's a Subaru representative themselves that deny the warranty despite the dealership pressuring them to cover it. Some cars that shouldn't be covered do get warrantied, and some that should be aren't. It depends on the circumstances and who is looking at it. Subaru is not a small company. It's actually quite large.

Again, modding needs to be done with a "you pay to play" mentality. You can take a car in for repairs, just do so being aware that you may or may not be covered.
#20 Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
As the plaintiff the burden of proof would fall on you to prove that neither the part nor your driving habits contributed to the problem, which again, in most cases is a toughie.

I got my 1st clutch replaced too under the 36k wear item warranty.
Lol..... I think we have had this same conversation already, as plaintiff I would only need to prove that my car broke under the warrenty period and that it was not covered. Subaru then would need to show why they did not cover it, burden of proof on them at that point.. YOU ARE RIGHT in saying that S.O.A denys people all the time and it is a very hard fight if you try to take the legal route"offten failing" that most just take it up the ass and give up.

I also agree with you pay to play, if your cobb map you download causes your engin to blow then the repair should come out of your pocket.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#21 Old 08-29-2012, 12:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

hatchimatchi is an unknown
Garage
So I too just bought a new WRX (2012) and am just starting to familiarize myself with the addiction. I am the guy who genuinely thinks the engineers at Subaru have done a better job of wrenching on these cars than I can do and for daily driving and some occasional autocrossing I don't plan to mod my WRX. This being said, I am interested in this COBB AP mapping because it's relatively simple to do, relatively inexpensive, and keeps the car stock.

Could someone give me a cliff notes version of the benefits of getting a COBB AP for a bone-stock WRX? I've researched their web site and it's all pretty technical for a noobie and it's a little overwhelming. To fully benefit from the new maps do you need to upgrade the intake or anything? Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread.
#22 Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchimatchi View Post
So I too just bought a new WRX (2012) and am just starting to familiarize myself with the addiction. I am the guy who genuinely thinks the engineers at Subaru have done a better job of wrenching on these cars than I can do and for daily driving and some occasional autocrossing I don't plan to mod my WRX. This being said, I am interested in this COBB AP mapping because it's relatively simple to do, relatively inexpensive, and keeps the car stock.

Could someone give me a cliff notes version of the benefits of getting a COBB AP for a bone-stock WRX? I've researched their web site and it's all pretty technical for a noobie and it's a little overwhelming. To fully benefit from the new maps do you need to upgrade the intake or anything? Sorry if I hi-jacked this thread.
Keep in mind the AP doesn't technically keep the car stock. At stage I you can expect some decent power gains, and a smoother power band. The car doesn't require anything but the AP to go stage I. Cobb even states that the car should have no other performance modification to run the stage I map.

I had the classic ring land failure on my STi with 19K miles and it was denied warranty coverage as they stated that they couldn't rule out the ECU as the failed part because there had been a map flashed on it (each time the ECU is flashed it rolls the ECU serial code, called a checksum, and therefore the AP is not completely transparent if uninstalled). I bought the car used and didn't have the original downpipe and mid-pipe, but had the old stock pipe from my WRX, and they also claimed that part was not original and therefore they would not warranty it. I decided that was a good time to build my motor and $4K in parts later, I feel safe that I'll no longer face blown ring lands.

The moral of the story is this:
Understand that SOA is HUGE. Fuji Heavy Industries is the parent company. Check them out. They don't take claims based on being "small". I think it's correct that it comes down to the Regional Service Manager, as SOA won't talk anything other than what the RSM states. In my case, he referenced that it was a catalytic converter from a Legacy, and that was not acceptable for an Impreza. The SOA rep wouldn't listen to anything other than that, and that the cat in my car was from an Impreza. It didn't matter. The RSM's statement held. I knew my car had been modded, and I accept the risk associated with that. Ring land failures are more common than they should be, and I don't think it was directly related to the mod, but I play devil's advocate to SOA and understand that it's a precedent that they can't open a door to certain mods (ECU is what I'm referencing here) or people could seriously harm their cars and SOA would have to then have an unclear line of how to determine what's acceptable or not. End rant.

Don't mod it with an AP unless you are prepared to face the possibility of a flaw in the motor and it not being covered.

#23 Old 08-30-2012, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

hatchimatchi is an unknown
Garage
Thanks for the knowledgeable, honest feedback!
#24 Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Happy to help. That's the purpose of the forums, and WRXTuners is filled with the most honest, knowledgeable, and collaborative bunch of enthusiasts I've ever seen on a forum. Welcome to the community and congrats on the recent purchase. You'll find this site to be a vital reference tool for anything you want to know about or do to your car.

#25 Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

SASTI is an unknown
So how is it on the Cobb's website, they're saying that using the "revert to stock" option puts the checksum back to a factory one? But you guys are saying that it's for sure traceable?

Who here is a tech or a warranty claim investigator? Those individuals would be the most reliable sources.
#26 Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASTI View Post
So how is it on the Cobb's website, they're saying that using the "revert to stock" option puts the checksum back to a factory one? But you guys are saying that it's for sure traceable?

Who here is a tech or a warranty claim investigator? Those individuals would be the most reliable sources.
Cobb themselves have said that it can still be detected even when unmarried.

My guess is that the ECU may have a start counter as well.
#27 Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

horrorbiz is an unknown
Quote:
Hey guys,

I just purchased a new WRX (FINALLY!!) and I am looking into the Cobb Access port. My main concern is to not void my warranty. I know that with Cobb you can always upload the original map that the car comes with so the settings will look the same. I spoke with a Cobb employee because I want to know if it will leave "cookies" or some other tracable mark behind. I know the stage 1 map with cobb will be fine for my engine and turbo because it is still below STI levels but I know the dealership won't feel the same. I also know that some dealerships actually offer the Cobb Access port as an option. Does anyone know if the dealership can see if I changed the tunning once the original settings are back? Any help on the matter would be great! Thanks!
You mentioned that at Stage 1 you would be below STI levels... since 2009 the WRX and STI have been making the same power. Check out the dyno database on Cobb's site.

I have a stage 2 2011 WRX making much more power than stock (298/330). I recently had my center diff replaced under warranty, no questions asked. If you seem to be getting pushback from a certain dealership you can always try another.