Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb access port..

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
Is buying an access port worth it so I don't have to get my 16 WRX tuned?

#2 ·
Welcome to our forums

Lets get a few things straight. The Accessport is just a method of communicating with your ECU. It is in fact a method of tuning. The accessport is just the hardware, it uses a cable connected to your OBD2 port to flash "maps" over your ECU. The accessport comes prloaded with a few maps and you can also add additional maps from the internet to load to your ECU. The moment you plug the accessport into your car and "Marry" it to your ECU it will in a matter of speaking tune your car.

I saw you had another thread about a SF intake. Those are very likely to cause check engine lights because you are changing the values that the MAF sees when your engine is at a given RPM. ANything out of range will cause CELs and rob you of power by slamming the car into limp home mode. Any time you change the intake of exhaust path on these newer cars you need to tune for those parts. The Cobb comes with maps designed to work with most of their aftermarket parts and any tuner worth their salt can create an accessport map for whatever parts you install.

Word to the wise though dont install parts without an ECU map designed to make them worth in harmony with the rest of your system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.