Cobb Accesport - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-10-2006, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

04rex is an unknown
Cobb Accesport

Hey guys, i was just wondering if it is safe to run a map for the cobb accessport all the time? i read on a previous thread that you should not run the cobb map all the time because it runs rich or something and it could ruin the car? i thought it was safe to run the map all the time without having to revert back to the stock map.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
The prefab maps are basically safe enough to get you to a tuner for a protune. You could run it, but you could also prematurely wear out cats and o2 sensors depending on how long you run it like that.

Also, I'll move this to the correct forum.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
#3 Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

JiveMasterT is more helpful than not
Why would you not want to run a Stage2 map all the time? It is a little conservative and you SHOULD get it protuned but I see no reason why you couldn't use it all the time... it just has more buffer and you won't get as good of gas mileage as a protune.

Patrick - 2007 STi Limited
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#4 Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

theaxemaster is an unknown
That's what I was thinking also, stage 1 and 2 maps should be usable all the time, above that its not really recommended. What is the concensus?
#5 Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Cobb has designed them to run all the time. Most people do, most people never get a protune, and most people have no problems.
#6 Old 07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

I was simply stating a couple of good reasons why you'd want to not do it. I run a prefab TXS stg2 map in my car, the fuel economy blows ass, and I have the unburnt fuel on my garage floor to tell me how badly I need a protune.

Do as you wish though.

#7 Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
I run a cobb stage 2 and get 30mpg. UTEC has been known to have worse base maps then cobbs. Protune is obviously more precise, but telling people they will run so rich that they will kill o2 sensors and such is being a bit dramatic. Running a off the shelf map is usually more than good enough for the casual tuner. I would never want to discourage anyone from getting cobb by telling them they will ruin parts of their car. It is 1000% better than running no em at all.
#8 Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dramatic, not really. Realistic is more of a better term. You say conservative, I say rich. We're both right. Are you going to do it tomorrow, no, next week, probably not, but after an extended period of time those two parts stand the chance of failing.

I never said that they will fail, I said thay could fail.

I wasn't aware of the TXS maps being more rich than the Cobb ones.

#9 Old 07-10-2006, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
The Cobb maps are "safe" maps, not tune for max performance. You can gain 20-40 hp with a good tune. But like stated above most people will run off the shelf maps all day long with out problems.
#10 Old 07-10-2006, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9d2TSi
Dramatic, not really. Realistic is more of a better term. You say conservative, I say rich. We're both right. Are you going to do it tomorrow, no, next week, probably not, but after an extended period of time those two parts stand the chance of failing.

I never said that they will fail, I said thay could fail.

I wasn't aware of the TXS maps being more rich than the Cobb ones.
I'm with you here... it will definitely beat the tar out of your o2 sensors... not much you can do about that. As an added bonus, you will have a nice buildup of carbon on your bumper. Getting a protune has its obvious advantages but if you don't feel the need to squeeze every last hp out of your build then just stick with the stock maps and change your o2 sensors every few years... the Denso o2 sensors have a pretty nice tolerance to running rich.

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#11 Old 07-10-2006, 06:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
The TXS works a bit differently than the AP when it comes to using base maps. Both are rich as hell. It is fine to run the AP on the car with the preset maps. If you are running really rich and have cats on the car then they may go out. Otherwise youll be fine. The O2 could get false readings eventually as well. Either way, you arent "ruining" the car. A protune is a good idea anyway though. Just to get you up to a more aggressive tune and lean things out a bit.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#12 Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek98xc
The TXS works a bit differently than the AP when it comes to using base maps. Both are rich as hell. It is fine to run the AP on the car with the preset maps. If you are running really rich and have cats on the car then they may go out. Otherwise youll be fine. The O2 could get false readings eventually as well. Either way, you arent "ruining" the car. A protune is a good idea anyway though. Just to get you up to a more aggressive tune and lean things out a bit.
What do you mean by "works a bit differently than the AP..."?

▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#13 Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveMasterT
What do you mean by "works a bit differently than the AP..."?
After talking for hours with both companies and owning both units I have gathered the following: According to Cobb, the TXS maps are more aggressive than the Cobb's. The UTEC "base map" is really just used as exactly what it says: a base. That system is meant to be modified by the end user and can be done so very easily. With the AP, they assume that you are not going to be modifying it. Either company claims that their base maps are fine to run. The AP is more geared to the "plug and play" crowd rather than people that want to have advanced tuning power. I was having some issues with my UTEC for a while but then figured it out. Both are great systems. Both have their own benefits. The AP better suits my needs now (by "now" i mean broke and in college) just because of the different summer/ winter gas we use here requiring two different maps on a UTEC.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#14 Old 07-12-2006, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_JUNKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy15u
Cobb has designed them to run all the time. Most people do, most people never get a protune, and most people have no problems.
Well not sure about your area but most people I know are getting pro-tuned as time passes since most want a more aggressive tune and one that is made for the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy15u
I run a cobb stage 2 and get 30mpg. UTEC has been known to have worse base maps then cobbs. Protune is obviously more precise, but telling people they will run so rich that they will kill o2 sensors and such is being a bit dramatic. Running a off the shelf map is usually more than good enough for the casual tuner. I would never want to discourage anyone from getting cobb by telling them they will ruin parts of their car. It is 1000% better than running no em at all.
30MPG??? Do you only drive on highways without hitting boost? The best I've done is about 25mpg on a highway trip to Philadelphia.

Keith
#15 Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

kcoomes is an unknown
Tacking on a question to the OP's...How long do you estimate the AP will run on prefab maps without problems? I too am a broke college student and am going to purchase the AP, but don't plan on getting a pro-tune for another year because I'll have finished school by that point. Was just wondering if I would be safe for a year.