Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cobb 3.3x Maps

9K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  pjkatz04 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone.

I was doing my scheduled maintenance and i noticed that Cobb has new maps for us : )

3.3x released some time late June

Installed 3.31 ( 91 Octane + SF intake )

Ran around the neighborhood to let the DAM get up and let the ECU settle in with the new map and then took it out.

Its smoother than the 3.1x maps off the line at low RPM. It feels easier to drive smooth (especially with passengers) than the 3.1x map.

Target boost is higher than the 3.1x maps. Stage 1 target boost is 17 PSI instead of 16 on the same Stage 1 map. Fueling looks smoother and a bit leaner on the bottom so it should help with bog at low RPM

//MY EXPERIENCE//
Actual boost on the NWG map seems to be very low. ( 14.5 on my 1st pull ) Even with lower boost is felt better than the 3.1x map. I also grabbed the LWG and HWG as an emergency map just in case something wasn't right so I ran the HWG as a real time map and hit 16PSI on my second pull.

The HWG map felt very solid and the power band felt more natural than the 3.1x Map. It may be just my but dyno feeling the extra power that should be there at 16 PSI but i am very happy with the new maps.

TLDR Cobb released a new map. It seems low on PSI but the HWG map is great on my 13

See less See more
#2 ·
I also tried the new 3.31 91 OCT + SF intake NWG map on my 13 hatch this evening, and after a couple pulls only hit a peak boost of 13.5. It felt good, I don't think I would have noticed much of a difference in pull if my access port wasn't telling me I was boosting lower. I'll have to try the HWG map tomorrow and see how it works out. Are you planning on running the HWG map on your ride instead of the NWG?

#3 ·
My butt dyno was pretty happy with it as well until I checked the logs and was under by a bit more than a pound. I have been running the HWG map and getting acceptable results, 15.5psi on my logs. The only part of the map I dont feel good about, is it feels like the turbo starts to spool until later in the RPM range. When I hop on the throttle from cruise control at 3k the 3.11 maps had me already in a bit of boost just over 1 psi, with the new 3.31 map its still in vacuum and it takes a bit to start delivering the power. after this week I think I wills swap back to my old 3.11 map at least as a real time map so i can enjoy the spool speed..

I reached out to Cobb over the weekend and they have been getting reports of the NWG 3.3x maps under boosting in general. Apparently they have a technician up in Oregon working on the maps and they should be releasing a corrected revision under 3.4x in the next few weeks. That said there is nothing destructive about the 3.3x maps they just dont deliver the power you can have from some of their other OTS maps

#4 ·
Good to know, I'll be waiting on the 3.4
I knew they released updates, but just wasn't in need of taking my AP out of the glovebox just yet.

Thanks for the info on under boosting and the new maps.

#6 ·
Quick update---I decided to try 3.31 hwg. Seems to have fixed the underboost issue. Moderate driving this morning permitted 16.35 lbs I'm sure wot will get me closer to map target.

Seems like the removal of the slwg map effectively just pushed everyone up one map step. Silly.

#7 ·
@pjkatz04, I am in the same boat, I was under by almost a whole pound on the HWG 3.31 - I went back to my 3.11 map (hit boost target on normal streets and entered boost earlier accelerating on the highway)and haven't looked back. That said I have cobbs page on my radar every morning looking for a 3.4 map

#10 ·
I think the +/- 1.0 PSI is with their SWG map. I was 3-4 PSI under on the regular wastegate and 1.5 under on the HWG map.

The part that really bothered me was that I had to be closer to 3,750 rpm in 4th to really start building boost where as I start building at almost 3,000 with the 3.11 map. That means a downshift at 60 miles per hour puts me in boost when i downshift rather then during the lane change when I need to pass.

Heres to hoping it gets resolved quickly : )

#12 ·
i was thinking about this thread the other day and wanted to resurrect it. ive been running 331 stage 1+sf for abt a year now, and i still get around 16.5 give or take a few tenths.

is everyone else in the same boat? i really want my 311 pressure back, but 331 runs so much smoother.

#13 ·
I was only hitting about 13.5 on 331. After sending COBB a data log they told me I had a boost leak. A dyno diagnostic proved otherwise. switched back to 311 and was hitting around 16 again. Eventually I had a custom tune when I went stage two using 331 as a base map on my access port. Maybe OTS 331 works better on some cars, but it didn't on mine.

#15 ·
After working with Eric at Torqued Performance I feel like the Cobb 33x maps are severely underpowered. at stage 1 levels the Torqued maps are around 17PSI and the stage 2 maps are at 19. Not that boost is everything but Eric does a pretty good job getting solid maps and map revisions out to you in a timely manner.

I still keep my ear to the ground hoping Cobb might release a new stage 2 tune to try but for the moment I am pretty happy with Torqued

#16 ·
Cobb will never release a map OTS that's better than what Torqued does.
They are in the business of keeping their paid partner tuners in business - they purposefully leave power on the table so that a pro-tune is a good option at any levels. Pro tuners pay alot more than you did for your AP ;)

Also, Eric has replied to my emails almost every hour of the day and he's been amazing to deal with. I decided to do my own tune from scratch now, but his has been running great for everything from winter to hot days to 1/4 mile days.

#17 ·
Yeah I love what Eric has done. I also trust that Cobb is in the business of providing an exceptional tuning product and I expect their tunes to live up to the capacity of their hardware.

That said Im not holding my breath. Im currently working on revisions for my stage 2+ with Eric at Torqued but I check Cobb about once a week just to see what they have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.