Subaru WRX Forum banner

Breaking then stage or break in stages

6K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  06_hawk_eye 
#1 ·
So with getting this whole new motor, I am getting a v3 and my question is, should I break in the motor then state or break it in staged.
Also what is the best way to break in a new motor?

#2 ·
I don't know if it will be different in this case but when you buy a new wrx you keep the rpms under 4k rpms and no constant speed limits like taking the car on a road trip on the thruway for long periods of time. Typically you do that for the first 1k miles.

#8 ·
New engines do not require the historical break-in period that you are referring to. Best practices is just not to pin it like a madman for the first 1,000 miles, get an early oil change and you're done with it.

Personally I'd like to drive it in a performance capacity a while before the tune, but it's only because I'd like to appreciate the performace increase that your COBB AP V3 will bring.

#22 ·
I go down n start my car, close my garage and then go on with my morning, so it idles for about 20 mins any ways, also warms up the car really nice.
Then when I am at work I always take a little break, go out n start the car, let it run for about 20 mins and b.s with my buddy that does the same thing

#24 ·
\

Engine's warm up quicker under light load. I give it not much more than a minute, and get underway driving gently until the temp needle starts to move.

20 min is not practical, nor required. I'm sure your manual has instructions, and what's in it is what Subaru designers and warranty expect.

#32 ·
Ok, so have a strait pipe from right after my car, if I get a catted DP and then strait pipped the rest of the way out, will that be easy?
Meaning being able to marry the custom catless strait pipe to the new DP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.