bought the car with a MBC... :/ - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Etown_WRX is an unknown
Question bought the car with a MBC... :/

I semi-recently bought an 03 WRX with ~110k miles. Car had some modifications already. Up-pipe, turbo-back, some big-ole CAI, and a MBC. I'm kicking myself for buying a modded car without know what has/has not been done. But, it is what it is.

The computer is throwing a front O2 sensor fault code as well as showing the boost is out of spec (surprise). I am working toward getting the car to the point where I can have it safely tuned (boost, AFR, EGT gauges, stock boost controller if needed, etc).

My question is: could the modifications the car has be causing the O2 sensor code? I want to get the car fixed, but I don't want to throw money at the O2 if it's not the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-20-2012, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
What mbc, I bought my car with one too. I can't wait to schedule a tune and rip it out. As of now I force myself to drive like granny

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #3 of 15 Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I would guess it just hasn't been tuned at all for all that stuff and that's what's causing the code. Buy a stock boost controller, or a 3 port bcs. Do not install it until you are ready for the tune.(if you get the 3 port) For now do your best to stay out of boost.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #4 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Etown_WRX is an unknown
I'm not sure what brand it is. Looks like a cheapie.

The car still has the stock boost controller (in place, but not hooked up), but a couple of local guys said something about it not having a 'pill' that is needed. I would go ahead and hook the stock piece back up but I'm afraid if something is missing, it will make a worse mess than the MBC. Any idea what they are talking about?
post #5 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Yeah the pill is important but is not gonna damage the car to not be there while you go get one. Car will just run on wastegate pressure till its in there. It's a $2 part from the dealership. When you go in there just tell them you need a restrictor pill for the bcs. I can't remember the part number.(a Google search will find it for you) it goes in the little hose that comes off of the compressor side of the turbo.(between the compressor and the t fitting that's right there. I used a small punch to push mine into place. Just looks like a pellet with a hole drilled through it length-wise. I would suggest doing this instead of the mbc that's on there.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
What mbc, I bought my car with one too. I can't wait to schedule a tune and rip it out. As of now I force myself to drive like granny
MBCs are not inherently bad. They are just less adaptive than the stock BCS system They are perfectly fine as long as you know what you're doing. And that is the big problem.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My VTAK isn't kicking in till 8K..... Turn the little dial to make it come in at 3K

snafu

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #8 of 15 Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Paul, I hope you know what snafu means. LOL

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #9 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Etown_WRX is an unknown
Update:

I bought the pill from the dealer, installed it, determined the previous owner left the original pill in, removed the second pill I'd installed. I'm going to see if the boost issue code has came back tomorrow at work. I'm really hoping it's not. I found out that the issue with the O2 sensor is with the heater circuit, so I'll likely just run with that sensor. After all, the money I would have spent on the O2 will go a good ways towards getting the gauges.

My plan at this point is to get a gauge set so I can know what the car is doing. Then I want to have the car tuned for the mods it has. If I were to go to a larger TMIC, would there be any gains? I've read mixed reviews. I do plan to stay with the stock charger as I don't have the funds for an upgrade + fuel system due to other hobbies.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It can help a little if you put a larger TMIC on there. You can squeeze some more air and it could help cool the charge a little more. So, I wouldn't expect a ton of added tq or hp. But, it will help.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #11 of 15 Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Etown_WRX is an unknown
Checked the light this morning. The boost solenoid high code is still there. Any ideas?
post #12 of 15 Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

its allgood is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
Yeah the pill is important but is not gonna damage the car to not be there while you go get one. Car will just run on wastegate pressure till its in there. It's a $2 part from the dealership. When you go in there just tell them you need a restrictor pill for the bcs. I can't remember the part number.(a Google search will find it for you) it goes in the little hose that comes off of the compressor side of the turbo.(between the compressor and the t fitting that's right there. I used a small punch to push mine into place. Just looks like a pellet with a hole drilled through it length-wise. I would suggest doing this instead of the mbc that's on there.
The part number is: 22326KA120 and they call it an orifice. The price is about 1.65
post #13 of 15 Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_WRX View Post
Update:

I bought the pill from the dealer, installed it, determined the previous owner left the original pill in, removed the second pill I'd installed. I'm going to see if the boost issue code has came back tomorrow at work. I'm really hoping it's not. I found out that the issue with the O2 sensor is with the heater circuit, so I'll likely just run with that sensor. After all, the money I would have spent on the O2 will go a good ways towards getting the gauges.

My plan at this point is to get a gauge set so I can know what the car is doing. Then I want to have the car tuned for the mods it has. If I were to go to a larger TMIC, would there be any gains? I've read mixed reviews. I do plan to stay with the stock charger as I don't have the funds for an upgrade + fuel system due to other hobbies.

Thanks again.
How did he...? MBC with a pill...? What? Sheesh, hope you get that straightened out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
It can help a little if you put a larger TMIC on there. You can squeeze some more air and it could help cool the charge a little more. So, I wouldn't expect a ton of added tq or hp. But, it will help.
The stock 02-07 WRX TMIC isn't particularly free flowing. There are some gains to be had going with a higher quality TMIC even at the same size. A little bigger will also buy you a little bit too, as you said. The STi TMIC is much higher quality, slightly bigger, and can be found used for a reasonable price (sometimes people want way too much though). If you go that way, make sure you get the Y pipe because the angle is slightly different than the WRX. You can buy aftermarket Y pipes for cheap if you need to though.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #14 of 15 Old 05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Oh hell, ppl sell them with the y-pipe for cheap.... ?

I need a new set of online buddies. WTH

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #15 of 15 Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
you don't have to ditch the mbc, you can run a "hybrid" boost control setup. I am currently running a 3 port grimmspeed bcs with a hallman pro rx mbc. basically the advantage of this setup is when you go wot you get the boost response of the mbc and keep the boost under control at partial throttle using the grimmspeed bcs so that you will never have a ptfb situation. I get 20psi by 2700rpm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement