Boost and Wastegate question? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 Old 11-14-2011, 05:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
My apologizes I didn't scroll down far enough to see the IAM.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...

Last edited by psinuse; 11-14-2011 at 05:12 PM. Reason: correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
So with what you are saying cwinter would I need to look into replacing the spring or just do like a small adjustment on the wastegate arm? Also yea when I converted the logs to pdf it split it all up and sent some of it to another page
post #18 of 28 Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
If it was getting a bit soft, you could give the actuator a turn or two and log. Although, I wasn't really suggesting that is the fix, although it could be a 'work around', I am more interested in knowing why the ecu didn't try harder to get you to where you needed to be. It's possible the +/- error % in the compensation table is whacked out.
post #19 of 28 Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
As long as I know I can't get in trouble for doing it I will post the xpt stage 2 tune on here so you can look at their table and see maybe if it is in just the tune itself, but it'll have to be later tonight cause I don't have access to my laptop that has it on it right now
post #20 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Ok here is the xpt stage 2 map. the ecu definition zip file is so that you can open it up to view it, but won't let anybody actually open it up to tune their car with it so it won't be like me giving away a tuned map that xpt makes money off of. To be perfectly honest comparing it to the tune that was originally on my car it has a better opening for acceleration but just dies out after 4500 rpm which could explain my loss of power when i get into 3rd gear at WOT just because by the time i get into 3rd gear i'm around 4500 rpm. So if that is the case any suggestions on what to adjust to fix that and how much of an adjustment i should make with the tune?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Ecu_defs.zip (750.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: zip XPT2100W.zip (381.6 KB, 14 views)
post #21 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 06:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
They lock their maps (Proprietary Reasons)

I know this may be a longshot, but are you on the stock BPV?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #22 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Yea I am they don't call for replacing it with their stage 2 map
post #23 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 09:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Can you make adjustments currently ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #24 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Make adjustments on what? The bpv? Nah there's nothing under the hood that I can manually adjust other than the wastegate arm, but I have been reading where some people have had problems with their BCS going bad. Could this be a possible problem with mine or would show more of a drastic loss of boost then what im showing right now
post #25 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
If your boost controller was bad, you would be on pure wastegate spring pressure, which is probably around 7lbs. So highly doubtful it is your controller. If I was in your situation and I was getting as close as .5lbs from my target, I would guess that it's nothing major mechanical and probably in your tune. I would put a couple turns on the wastegate actuator and run a log, it's not going to hurt anything. I would not be looking for ghosts on such a small amount of boost, even 2lbs at 5k isn't really telling us much. I tried to open the tune but never got the defs to work properly, I am still a bit concerned with why the ecu didn't try harder, but as long as it's not totally whacked and is doing it's job to a certain extent I would adjust the actuator and see what happens. Go in baby steps and log each time, I would get where it's within .5lbs consistently in 3rd and then do a 4th gear pull to 3800 or so and make sure you aren't spiking.
post #26 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Ok ill try doing that this afternoon and then post the logs and let you know what I got
post #27 of 28 Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

WG spring pressure is 9lbs if i'm not mistaken. OH, mark and pay close attention how many times you turn it.

Check this out, buddy of mine has an 05 Baja and was having issues hitting >8lbs of boost and we thought it was the BCS.

Low and behold at the gas station he normally used switched the octane signs around (93 WAS on the right and is now on the left) and he has been running 87 for the past 2 fillups. Nonetheless, the plugs took a crap and currently is needing them done (still not getting past 10lbs)

Not that it matters on THIS particular issue, but could be relevant as I don't tune anyones' car let alone mine.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #28 of 28 Old 11-18-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Sorry its been a couple of days since i said would post the log. anyways instead of adjusting the wastegate i got another tune from someone else and used that instead and got a lot better results with the new tune. i figured i would let ya'll check it out and see what you think
Attached Images
File Type: pdf wot from dead stop new tune.pdf (168.6 KB, 75 views)