Boost and Wastegate question? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Boost and Wastegate question?

Ok first of all I searched through like 4 pages of threads before I gave up and just posted this.

I have a 07 subaru wrx with TBE & a Cobb AP short ram intake with a Stage 2 tune.

I've noticed my boost is not exactly hitting my target boost through 1st and 2nd gear, but its pretty close. Yet when I hit 3rd gear I don't even come close to the target boost. Can this be a cause of the wastegate arm needing to be adjusted or something else? I've read where a lot of people don't hit their target boost and thats why they adjust their wastegate arm, but couldn't really find anything where they were close to it in 1st and 2nd and then not the rest of the gears. Don't really want to go adjusting anything or changing anything until I know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2011, 09:36 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Have you contacted Cobb directly about this. You can call or email. They are usually pretty good about getting back to people and are really friendly. I cant really offer experience or advice as I never had that issue when I was Stg2 on my AP.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
1st and second shouldn't be able to hit full boost by design, right? Third would be the first gear to hit 100% of target boost though...

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#4 Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I just realized I didn't fully explain what I have. I bought the cobb intake cause I was gonna get the cobb ap, but then I went with opensource and got the stage 2 tune from xpt. Ill try contacting them though and see if with their tune if sometimes you need to adjust the wastegate
#5 Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

cwinterbower is more helpful than not
Garage
By the standards of heat, load, and the way turbo's work. If you are tuned for 3rd wot which most cars are, you will probably not quite hit target boost in 1st or 2nd, because the turbo simply doesn't have enough load, heat, or time to spool. If it is getting close in 2nd and way off in 3rd it is highly unlikely it has anything to do with wastegate, is it spiking and over compensating? Is the target just way out of the turbo's efficiency range? What is the target boost?
#6 Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I'm going to try to get some logs later this afternoon so i can give ya'll a better idea of whats going on, but like i went to the track yesterday and it did great off the line all the way through 2nd gear and then like as soon as i hit 3rd gear it just felt like i had no power. I ran a 9 flat on the 1/8 mile marker and then a 14.6 on the 1/4 mile. Also I've been looking around and noticed something kind of strange i bought this car with most of the mods already on it and i didn't catch it when i pulled the original tune off of the car until now, but its not the factory tune. A lot of the tune is extreme to the max but nowhere felt the same as the stage 2 tune i got from xpt so i guess thats why i thought it was just a factory tune. I'm going to try to attach the tune I pulled off of my car and let ya'll look at it and see what kind of tune this person was trying to do.
#7 Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
ok here is the tune i pulled off of my car when i first got ecuflash. i would post the xpt tune to show you the difference, but i'm not stupid and know i have no right to post their tune.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mystock07.zip (381.6 KB, 49 views)
#8 Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You can post YOUR tune... you paid for it...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 11-14-2011, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
ok so here is my data logs with romraider. i'm posting 3 different ones. one log shows me from a dead stop all the way through 3rd gear and the other 2 are just logs in 3rd gear from around 2k to 5k rpm
Attached Images
File Type: pdf wot from dead stop.pdf (218.9 KB, 110 views)
File Type: pdf 2k-5k log.pdf (209.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: pdf 2k-5k log1.pdf (114.8 KB, 98 views)
#10 Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Looks like a boost leak.

Have you check all your hoses and/or lines ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 11-14-2011, 02:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I haven't but I will. I was planning on replacing the y-pipe and coupler going to the intercooler cause they are the stock ones and look a little worned out so I guess its possible it could be leaking from there. Other than a possible boost leak does everything else look ok
#12 Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ummm check your IAM and see what it is?

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#13 Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
his IAM looks good on the logs (1). I would be interested in looking at the comp table, not sure why on your run through the gears your wgdc's are hitting 67ish trying to compensate and on your 3rd gear wot run they sit at 59. I would think if it was a boost leak, which is still possible, your wgdc's would be hitting the table max trying to compensate. I don't see them doing that. Would like to see the +/- % adjustment in the comp. I won't have access to my tuner laptop till tonight, but I can't help but wonder why your wgdc's are not hitting 67 like they were in your from dead stop run, in which they were getting within 1 pound of target boost, which could be anything really, and yeah .5 - 1 lb could be caused by a wastegate spring getting a bit weaker "IF" the wgdc is hitting max duty in the table, it would open quicker and require a bit more wgdc numbers, still doesn't explain why it didn't compensate.
#14 Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
He didn't post his IAM in any of those logs. Also are you running any type of aftermarket boost controller? I.e. GM, Grimmspeed.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#15 Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I didn't post his IAM in any of those logs. Also are you running any type of aftermarket boost controller? I.e. GM, Grimmspeed.
So confused, I see IAM (Multiplier) in all of them..? Scroll down, or we are looking at two different things. His IAM looks good, and the boost controller I wouldn't think would matter if his ecu isn't telling it to open/close, you could bump the comp a bit if it was a 3 port, but again, his ecu isn't trying to compensate; 7% can make a world of difference on a soft spring (Stock).