Boost Gauge or UTEC Dashboard more accurate? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

subaWRX is an unknown
Boost Gauge or UTEC Dashboard more accurate?

Hey guys, got a newb question here. I purchased this 05 wrx with a few mods on it and it's still untuned. It has an Invidia Bellmouth Catless DP, and straightpipe/stock exhaust, and TurboXS Utec.

The UTEC only had what the owner called "low boost maps", but they were stage 1 and 2 base maps, modified by his friends and he never installed the Auxillary Boost Controller.

So anyway, the car has always been a lot slower than I thought it should be, and usually the boost gauge (autometer phantom) never went over 10 or 12 max running stock settings or running the utec maps he had.

Today I finally figured out how to upload a base stage 2 map, (It has an Invidia bellmouth catless DP and QTP exhaust cutout) and I installed the ABC.

My boost gauge was reading around 10PSI max on the base stage 2 map before adjusting the abc, (stg 2 max boost on the map is about 16.5 in 4th or w/e)

So I go to the dashboard and watch my boost and even after turning the screw CCW to increase boost 3-4 screws (almost all the way out) and my boost gauge is reading almost 15 or 16 lbs, but the utec dashboard claims I've never gone over 13.1 psi...(and that's only on 1 out of about 30 pulls tonight) And also, while watching the boost gauge and a partner watching the dashboard, even as my gauge hit 10, the utec barely read 8, and under hard acceleration, it was hard to get the utec to read over 11 or 12 for very long, while the boost gauge was showing 14-16lbs.

On the other hand, the vaccum readings between the gauge and utec dashboard seem pretty consistent, no variation.

Is my gauge really that inaccurate, or is the utec also not as accurate? It kinda scares me because now the car has massive power compared to when i got it, but i don't want to blow my stock turbo by overboosting it, and the ABC looks like i'm almost out of adjustment as far as raising boost, so i'm guessing the boost may be really high and the utec is inaccurate?

Sorry for the long post, but it's the best way I can explain it, i've read far too many posts of peoples problems with a 1 sentence explanation lol..

Any help would be appreciatied. And if you know of any tuners that could help me tune it in central pa?