boost gauge - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 12-27-2007, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
I do tune myself and still only use the few I mentioned there. I just don't think most people understand that for a relatively stock car and a handful of minor mods alot of those gauges are a waste of money better spend somewhere else, like gas. Before anyone says, "Well this shop uses it on there 550whp STi!" The reason they do is because there car is making 550whp, they will need to monitor things alot closer. I suppose I am just diggin a hole for myself on this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
Not digging a hole, just stating your preference.

I like the EGT myself.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#18 Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

robert.lshoc is an unknown
runnin pro sport
#19 Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

scottstokes1 is an unknown
glow shift gauges are very good and very cheap
#20 Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Doesn't glow shift gauges not fit in their pillars tightly/correctly? Have heard that from others. But they are nice and low dollar.
#21 Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can put electrical tape around the gauge to make it fit better, if they are lose fitting.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#22 Old 02-03-2008, 10:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
i got my prosport gauges (boost, OP, egt) but im having a little problem installing it. my boost gauge seems to be a little inaccurate...it reads about -20 psi at idle and up to only 15 psi at peak at 6000rpm...and I am confuse about installing my Oil pressure and egt gauge... ive been looking through some subaru forums and is still clueless... i read something about having to drill a hole in the manifold to get the best reading for egt gauge... I am having a problem with the oil sensor for the oil pressure gauge... how can I take that out and put the oil sender in there... it seems hard to do because there is little space in the area around the oil sensor...
#23 Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

honda2scooby is an unknown
you could just buy the oil filter adapter that has a special place to hook up the sensor... might be the easiest thing to do...
#24 Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWFL Scooby is an unknown
Your boost gauge is correct reading as it does.. -20 is in vacuum (car is not under boost) at idle, where it should be. Peak boost should be around 15psi in 3rd gear.

As for the EGT gauge, if you want the most accurate reading, you want to tap the exhaust collector on the passenger side of the car near the front (next to the oil filter). Simply remove it, drill it right on the ridge that sticks out, tap it with appropriate pipe thread size (should be about 1/8NPT), and insert the temp probe. All hardware except the tap should have come with the gauge.

As for the oil pressure gauge, just purchase the sandwich adapter for about $50, it's the easiest way.

D-Rock
Under constant pressure
#25 Old 02-04-2008, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
my car is an STi... and its peak boost should be 19.5 psi tapering to 15 psi at redline... this is what they said when I got my car protuned.... so i think there is something wrong with the reading.... but i don't know what the problem is...
#26 Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

yang259 is an unknown
about the egt gauge... will any uppipe with a EGT bung for stock sensor work fine with it? cause i dont like the idea of drilling my manifold... any advice on which uppipe i should get...thank...
#27 Old 02-05-2008, 06:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by yang259 View Post
my car is an STi... and its peak boost should be 19.5 psi tapering to 15 psi at redline... this is what they said when I got my car protuned.... so i think there is something wrong with the reading.... but i don't know what the problem is...
19.5 would be the ideal psi, but the ECU compensates for air temp, etc. It only going down from 19.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang259 View Post
about the egt gauge... will any uppipe with a EGT bung for stock sensor work fine with it? cause i dont like the idea of drilling my manifold... any advice on which uppipe i should get...thank...
For the most accurate reading, it is best to drill the manifold. I am not a whiz at this stuff, but with the proper tools, it is very simple. The tapping the hole you drill into the manifold is actually very easy. Hard to screw it up too.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#28 Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Should be done on the number 3 cylinder due to it being the one that runs hottest, if you must install a bung do it there.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...